Joe Reeves...Timing question

Geezer1

Seaman Apprentice
1973 Evinrude 135. The service manual calls for timing to be set at 22 degrees with engine speed of 4300 to 4600 rpm (in gear). Is this considered the WOT setting? If so, then using your timing method, I would set the time at 18 degrees, correct? Also...I read somewhere that If I don't ground the plug wires for cyl's 2,3,&4 during the test, I WILL damage the ignition system. Is this true? Thank you for your time and expertise. Geezer.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Joe Reeves...Timing question

1973 Evinrude 135. The service manual calls for timing to be set at 22 degrees with engine speed of 4300 to 4600 rpm (in gear). Is this considered the WOT setting? If so, then using your timing method, I would set the time at 18 degrees, correct? Also...I read somewhere that If I don't ground the plug wires for cyl's 2,3,&4 during the test, I WILL damage the ignition system. Is this true? Thank you for your time and expertise. Geezer.

Myself... I have never grounded the spark plug wires for any reason and have never had any ignition components damaged as a result of that practice. However, that's just me. A lot of people feel otherwise.

If the full spark advance setting is indeed 22 degrees, then yes you would want to set the timing at 18 degrees using the method I described. Just have that timer base wired up against the rubber stop so that the flywheel magnets can't back it up.

If the timing is where it belongs, the 18 degree mark is what you'll see anyway.

Last edited:

Geezer1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Joe Reeves...Timing question

Got it. Thanks Joe. I was thrown off with the throttle setting of 4300 to 4600 rpm, versus true WOT.