Warning horn or buzzer location

capttwb136

Cadet
I have a 2003 Mercury 60HP 2 stroke motor and can't find the warning horn/buzzer. Is it located in the remote control box? Or is it in the wiring inside the console? I'd like to see if it is getting 12 volts when I turn the key on. It will sound when I ground the overheat sensor wire in the motor, but not sound at all when I turn the key. I tried to listen under the console while it was buzzing, but I can't determine where it is. Some guys disconnect theirs, could one of you guys tell me where you disconnected it? Thanks, Tom

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Warning horn or buzzer location

They are usually in the remote. But why on earth would anyone want to disconnect it? That is what warns you when the motor is overheating.

vance14

Cadet

On this motor they dont sound when the ignition is turned on and on mine its under the dash and it is barely audible.

capttwb136

Cadet

Thank you very much Vance. Have you had your 60 Merc since it was new? I found the buzzer, it is wired up. I just never imagined it would not have a test beep at start up to let you know the system is working.

capttwb136

Cadet

They are usually in the remote. But why on earth would anyone want to disconnect it? That is what warns you when the motor is overheating.
Thank you, I found it under the dash. I was surprised at how small it was. It's a little black plastic thing with a small hole in it. It has a purple and tan wire, with the purple wire running to the ignition. A forum member has said on this particular motor the test beep does not sound at start up. It is a 2003 60 HP ELPTO 3 cylinder 2 stroke. Does that sound reasonable? I really don't know because I just recently bought the motor.

capttwb136

Cadet

On this motor they dont sound when the ignition is turned on and on mine its under the dash and it is barely audible.

Thank you Vance. I had contacted Mercury Marine customer service a couple days ago and explained the problem. They wrote back today, they said my engine did not have the test beep at start up. I wish I would have known that a week ago! Thanks again for your help Vance.

vance14

Cadet

I went thru the test beep thing in 2001 and had the dealership running around chasing their tails to get me an answer...

vance