1999 Non-Opti Mercury Bluewater 150 on Wellcraft Sportsman

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer
Just picked up this boat and have a few questions. Motor was even at 120 on all six cylinders. I know there were issues with this era Opti, but just curious about the carbed version as I have always been an Evinrude guy and have limited knowledge on Mercurys. Anything to look out for on these? Oil injection is intact, but just wondering if I should start premix due to age. Looking at the starter and ring gear, I would assume 150-200 hours. Motor has a flush port which I am also not used to after 30 years of muff usage. Any advantage to either method? The boat has synthetic thru hulls for the wash down and for the livewell/baitwell. Should I trust these on a 13 year old boat, or am I just being paranoid? On a side note, does anyone have experience with this model Wellcraft as I can only find limited information on the older model 210 DCs.

Thanks a bunch!

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1999 Non-Opti Mercury Bluewater 150 on Wellcraft Sportsman

The 2.5 mercury is the gold standard of outboard motors. The carb'd 150 is going to be the most reliable outboard you will ever use. The oil mixer on those is also dead nuts reliable. You can complicate your life some if you want but the system was perfected by the mid 90's and is not an issue.

Don't use the water flush port to flush the motor while its running. Its only there so you can wash salt water out of the powerhead. If you want to run the motor, use the muffs. Otherwise the water pump will run dry and damage the impeller.