Opinions on Stratus 2100 DC? 1st time boater shopping

mikebel

Cadet
Hi all. I'm new to boating; only have a 12' jon boat w/ 6 hp motor right now. LOL! I've been reading a lot on this forum and window shopping on Boat Trader. My brother in RI is a big-time boat guy and he's giving me advice but he's also 1100 miles away.

I'd like a used boat big enough for my family of 5; kids are all teenagers; no little ones. Looking at 21', bow rider that can be used to fish or ski. I don't think I'll be comfortable driving anything bigger than 21' I hear outboards are best for beginners. My budget is about 10k max.

I will also have a marine inspection done on any boat I consider buying. I'm in no rush to buy; pretty much just learning right now.

I have come across a 1997 Stratos 2100 DC w/ a 175hp Johnson Ocean Runner. It's at a dealer near me. I'd like to go look at it, but thought I'd ask the forum a couple questions first:

1) Opinions on Stratos boats? The 2100 DC is a "fish & ski" type model. Anyone familiar with these? Pro's & Con's?
2) Questions to ask when I see the boat? I know to ask for maintenance records and engine hours, but what else?
3) Not being able to speak w/ the original owner; is this a negative?
4) Should I expect any type of warranty from a used boat dealer?

I've got a lot to learn, but figured I'd just start asking questions. I've learned a lot on my Harley forum and hoping to find the same help/ info here.

Thanks all!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Opinions on Stratus 2100 DC? 1st time boater shopping

Never had a Stratos but they advertised around here years ago. One fishing show used the bass boat version....same boat basically, hull and construction, just different interior layout. Would I buy one? Yes, as well as a Ranger, Skeeter, Champion, and a few other well known and proven brands. Personal opinion on engines would be loop charging vs the old gas guzzling cross flow. I don't know if that engine is looped or not. I do know that for a while OMC offered both types of fuel charging in the same HP engines. Guarantee you that on a 175 it can make a whopping difference....course cross flows have had upgrades too in carburetion and exhaust timing that has helped their economy.

Yes some sort of warranty is in order including a ride out where the dealer shows you how to operate it. Yes you will have to pay for his time but it is money well spent. Then before you go out, take a boating course and if you have a buddy with a similar boat or experience, take him along on the first few outings.....like I say below. Boating is a continuous learning process as invariably every time you go out something different happens that you have to be prepared to engage.

Mark

southkogs

Staff member

Stratos has a couple of boat types. If this is the lower freeboard "bass boat" type, I don't think you'll like it for a family of five. If it's the deeper freeboard dual console "big water" boat, I think you'll like it more. Take the whole family down and get 'em on board. Make sure y'all fit and like it enough.

After that Mark's suggestion (condition of hull and engine) is dead on - condition and price are the main considerations in used boat buying.

Also - don't buy it if you're not comfortable with it. You're getting late in the boating season and in another couple of months, the deals will start popping outta' the woodwork. Wait for your pitch ;)

Welcome aboard.

mikebel

Cadet

Thank you both for your input and advice. Learned some new & important info. Thanks!

Yes it is a deeper style hull; not the bass boat style. I'll definitely ask about/ web research the motor info. First I need to learn exactly what Mark is describing though!

I'm not going to make a purchase till after the season is over. I did the same w/ my last 2 Harleys and I got great deals in Nov & Feb. I like this Stratos boat and I'm hoping it is still around in a couple months. I'll go look at it & give the dealer my contact info. I'm guessing if he still has it in Oct/Nov he'll be calling.

Yes, I DEFINITELY will take a boating safety course. Too many stories about new boaters who know nothing, getting into dangerous trouble/ accidents. I would not operate such a craft without proper training. Plus my brother would kill me; he's retired Coast Guard. When I started riding I took the MSF course and that info has saved my bacon many times over.

Thanks again guys! Any additional comments are welcome and appreciated!

Mike

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

Mark's describing the ways a 2 stroke engine gathers it's fuel/air mixture - HERE's a good overview.

jestor68

Commander

Something like this one for sale at Boats of Georgia? VP2709900_1_large.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Mark's describing the ways a 2 stroke engine gathers it's fuel/air mixture - HERE's a good overview.

Outstanding! Perfect. I bookmarked it for later reference in similar situations.

OMC pioneered the loop charged engine in 1968 as I recall. They did a complete redesign of the "Fat 50", OMC's first 4 cylinder engine brake hp (powerhead) rated at 50 hp, and it's successors which were 4 cylinder cross flow engines of huge displacement and really loved the gas. But the big mil could get a 24' wooden cabin cruiser (a light boat and shallow semi V up front and basically flat transom area) and contents on a respectable plane of 20-25 mph and do a good job. Additionally, the large engines were heavy.

Evinrude's entrance into the loop charged induction was named the Triumph, (and started out as a 55 hp to later run up to 75 hp over the years) which it was, as it was much more economical and much lighter with PTT streamlined, a new lower unit similar to Merc. with a thru hub exhaust and all the goodies. OMC really outdid themselves.

They initially produced 55 hp on 3 cylinders instead of the 4 cylinder 60-80 hp predecessors. In the fuel scavenging scheme, 3 cylinders were necessary to get the exhaust tuning into the picture. Seems the 120 degree timing was necessary to satisfy the timing of pushing the exhaust of another cylinder into a cylinder charging which helped to keep the new charge in the cylinder until the piston closed the exhaust port, rather than part of it leak out the exhaust holes like in cross flow. Exhaust tuning along with flat topped pistons a new fuel inlet port in the engine, increased spark plug firing voltage and surface gapped plugs, allowed what you see in the diagram Mr. Southcogs so eloquently provided.

No doubt in my mind that the advent in later years of the higher hp loop charged V6 engines were nothing more than 2ea. 3 cylinder engines sharing the same block and exhaust timing and other fuel efficient amenities. I had a 1972 125 hp V4 OMC and it had some of the upgrades like the midsection and lower unit changes, and I think it had an attempt at exhaust tuning, but it was cross flow and even though the economy was pretty good as compared to the "fat" series, the loopers could still run circles around me in economy.

Well, that's enough blabbing from this quasi mentally historically challenged guy.

Mark

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

That Stratos f+s is designed more for fishing.
That should make you and your sons? happy.

There are other f+s boats that are less geared for fishing, almost to the point of making it hard to fish out of.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

lloks like a good interior design for general family use and a variety of activities

mikebel

Cadet

That Stratos f+s is designed more for fishing.
That should make you and your sons? happy.

There are other f+s boats that are less geared for fishing, almost to the point of making it hard to fish out of.

Exactly. I have 2 boys, 16 + 13; daughter 18, wife 18+;). This boat seems to satisfy everyone having fun. Some bowriders I've seen look comfy, but have poor design for fishing. I'm trying to keep everyone happy. Fishing, fun,sunbathing, skiing, tubing...