West Marine - No More for me

Hello my fellow boaters :D - For those of you, like me, who took full advantage of the West Marine price match please be advised that they have changed their policy-guess I missed that email from them. They will now only price match brick & mortar stores within 50 miles of the location you are visiting. Guess what, I live in Florida (unfortunately) and there is never another "Marine" store within 50 miles of West Marine.... Funny how they picked the 50 mile rule huh .... So I will now gladly provide my future business to those online vendors who charge a "fair" price for their inventories. I have no issue with companies making a profit but West Marine prices are now and have always been out of line - :mad:

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: West Marine - No More for me

And we would love it if you shopped here. Seems like a decent solution :)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

It's a matter for debate. An online retailer who does business from a warehouse, or simply reorders from yet another supplier, has nowhere near the overhead that a store chain with rent, employees, stocking cost, etc. does. I use a combination of sources for my boating supplies, and WM is one of them. The staff at my local store is always super friendly and helpful, and they have a 'no questions asked' return policy. That's worth something to me.

Chief9

Seaman

I have to agree with jolin, the staff at our local store has always been super friendly and helpful. Their prices aren't necessarily the cheapest, but I typically research that before purchasing. If its too high then I buy from another source. Just saying I've had good experiences with them.

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer

A guy at my west marine told me that I hook a fish finder w/ a 3 amp breaker to the same battery as a trolling motor w/ a 60amp breaker, the 60 amp pull will go backwards from the trolling motor, and down the fish finder's line via the batter post connection and flip the 3amp breaker every time I turn them both on. He even drew a picture of it. :facepalm:

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

seems fair that if you want them to match price, you should expect the other guy to match "business"
another words brick and mortar and you can walk right in and get what you want today.

most places here do the same.

you'd be surprised how many people shop online but then want to come into the brick and mortar store for advise and help with a product they bought online.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dread going to WM because I know my walit will be empty when I leave and yes I know walmat and some smaller stores will have what I want but the servicce at WM is great.

ngt

Man, I'm jealous. The people at my West Marine don't know much about boating at all, lol. I was told there was one lady that knew a lot, but she left. The guys I talk with there couldn't wire up a boat if their lives depended on it.

saumon

Lieutenant

Kinda like Home Depot. They can tell you where it is in the store but don't ask anymore questions...

ngt

Kinda like Home Depot. They can tell you where it is in the store but don't ask anymore questions...

Exactly how I feel. I just learned it through listening to them make stuff up in an attempt to help me. I figured in a store that just sold one thing, they would know their stuff, but I was wrong. At least the guy at home depot can say, "sorry this isn't me section".

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

...., the 60 amp pull will go backwards from the trolling motor, and down the fish finder's line via the batter post connection and flip the 3amp breaker every time I turn them both on. He even drew a picture of it. :facepalm:

Say what??? :confused:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A guy at my west marine told me that I hook a fish finder w/ a 3 amp breaker to the same battery as a trolling motor w/ a 60amp breaker, the 60 amp pull will go backwards from the trolling motor, and down the fish finder's line via the batter post connection and flip the 3amp breaker every time I turn them both on. He even drew a picture of it. :facepalm:

Eggzackly why he's working at West Marine instead of a marine shop. :facepalm:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

...., the 60 amp pull will go backwards from the trolling motor, and down the fish finder's line via the batter post connection and flip the 3amp breaker every time I turn them both on. He even drew a picture of it. :facepalm:

Edit: misunderstood OP.

Last edited:

ngt

That never actually happened. I was wiring up my new fish finder and trolling motor. While picking up a couple of parts at WM, the guy said if I used 1 battery, that is what will happen. I told him I had a 12ft alum, had already had it wired like this just fine with my old stuff, and didn't want the weight of two batteries. He said I must have been lucky and then he drew me a picture with arrows and everything to show me what was going to happen to my new stuff. Being new to boats, I was a bit confused and asked on a couple of sites where everyone laughed a bit and said I'd be fine.

pretty much what most said when I told them. Wish I kept the drawing.