Evinrude Lark II 40hp HELP

brendan.ryan

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased a 14 foot fiberglass boat with an Evinrude Lark II on it. It has a hairline crack in the skeg, not good, but I will be able to repair if I can get the lower unit off. I think I have removed all necessary bolts, and have it freed to the point where it will drop about 2 inches, but then wont budge any further. It seems like the shifting rod is what is holding it, but im not sure.

Any one know what is going on here?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Lark II 40hp HELP

So disconnect the shift rod already. There is an access cover on the side of the midsection, two screws. Take that off and you will find another one inside. Take that off and you will see the shift rod connector. Remove the lower bolt.

Warning: When you go to put it back together, use a flashlight to peer in there and make sure the screw hole is exactly aligned with the notch in the shift rod before reinserting the lower bolt. If it is not exactly aligned, the screw threads will rub on the edge of the shift rod notch, wiping the threads off the screw. Then it will fall out. But never at dockside, it always falls out 5 miles out on the lake.

brendan.ryan

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help, finally got it off. The engine looks a lot dirtier that I expected, I assume this is from water. going to replace seals and water pump impeller, is there anything else anyone would reccomend doing while I have the lower unit off?

brendan.ryan

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help, finally got it off. The engine looks a lot dirtier that I expected, I assume this is from water. going to replace seals and water pump impeller, is there anything else anyone would reccomend doing while I have the lower unit off?