My 1994 runs good BUT...Frustrated

Julians

Cadet
My 1994 Merc 5.0 I/O runs good BUT...every so often it just chokes and cuts out, and then it would start right up and run well. I thought it was the gas splashing around in the fuel cell in rough seas possible causing air to be sucked up BUT now im not so sure. Last night after it cut out three times and then it was really hard starting and the RPM was flucuating quite a bit and will not stay running unless its up around 12-1400 RPM?

Im going to check the water seperator for water to start...and check the plugs for clues

Any other ideas anybody?

Thanks Jules

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: My 1994 runs good BUT...Frustrated

My 1994 Merc 5.0 I/O runs good BUT...every so often it just chokes and cuts out, and then it would start right up and run well. I thought it was the gas splashing around in the fuel cell in rough seas possible causing air to be sucked up BUT now im not so sure. Last night after it cut out three times and then it was really hard starting and the RPM was flucuating quite a bit and will not stay running unless its up around 12-1400 RPM?

Im going to check the water seperator for water to start...and check the plugs for clues

Any other ideas anybody?

Thanks Jules

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... That's a Good start,....

Throw in a complete Tune up, 'n Compression test,...
Then you know yer motor's general health, 'n it oughta be puttin' out to the Best of it's abilities,...