Proper Layup procedure?

hypersloth

Recruit
I am currently repair a few areas on my boat which some, actually go down to the plywood.<br /><br />I purchased a Polyester Resin & Hardener today, along with some mat and a few plastic spreaders. I'm probably going to go with a 2 step process for the 'thicker' areas.<br /><br />However I am wondering, what is the best last steps for the process of repair?<br /><br />Half of the repairs will be under water areas, fresh water, trailered boat.<br /><br />A general purpose filler is what the kid at the boat store told me to use. General purpose filler is water resistent, not water proof. I thought this would just cause problems soon after. I looked at evercotes 'gelcoat' and it really seems to be another polyester resin with tint. It also states to use a filler prior to putting on the gelcoat.<br /><br />I have a bottom anti-fouling paint for the areas to be painted and wish to afterwards. <br /><br />So, what goes next? After the last layer of polyester over fiberglass mat that is. Filler then paint? What type of filler? <br />None of the fillers at the boat store stated they were water proof.<br /><br />Thanks matey's.

BillP

Captain
Re: Proper Layup procedure?

If you are filling dings and small gouges...Go to a marine supply store and get a marine brand polyester filler. There are several brands to choose from. <br /><br />If just filling the fabric weave to make a smooth surface for sanding without hitting the glass fibers...it's called fill coating. Use your resin to fill it. Then prep for paint like normal.

hypersloth

Recruit

Thanks Billp, but at the risk of sounding uneducated, would that polyester filler be the same as a product called 'cat hair'? <br />Can it be painted over and can you use it below the water line?<br /><br />I read somewhere that you should not use polyester resin below the water line, is this true?<br /><br />To be clear, I want to repair areas that I have already removed the damaged fiberglass from, that in areas reach down to the plywood. I want to layup this repair to the last step and need information as to how to do this. I already have polyester resin and fiberglass mat. I've also thought that you use a gelcoat or a filler on the last step, fine sand - buff and paint?<br /><br />Please be as descriptive as possible. Those that would reply with go to the library responses aren't helping us that seem to all be asking the same questions unanswered. I have already been the library and book stores, and they all seem to contridict themselves. I am merely posting on here in hopes that there are true experts at this that will respond, if you do not know please move along. I apologize if I sound surly, but I spend my days correcting the actions of those that give advice off the hip without truly knowing how to do something as it is not their hard earned dollars being wasted or their lives possibly at risk.

sincraft

Seaman

Great when this is figured out I would love to start my repairs.<br /><br />Everytime someone recommends how to do something, I read in 6 other places why it should not be done that way or not to use such and such products I was just told to use. <br /><br />Boat stores (most that I've been to) have nothing but children working there that know how to point and take money. They are useless for information.<br /><br />S

BillP

Captain

I think you can probably find a how to pictorial online somewhere but here's a brief description on how to patch.<br /><br />Tape off around the patch area to keep from damaging the finish. Grind/sand and bevel the edges around the area to be patched. Cut different sized fiberglass patches...smaller goes on first and larger ones follow up. Cut these to overlap the previous smaller patch and spread outward into the beveled area. Glass it up and fill the weave with a coat or two of resin (aka fill coat). Now start sanding to level the patch with the hull...some glass fabric will be sanded off if you made it too thick and that is ok. After all leveling is done do one coat of resin to give a smooth surface. Now you have a level patch that is ready for cosmetics. Cosmetics would be filling small imperfections with a marine filler...putty like and sands easy. Once that is done you are ready to prep and paint.<br /><br />That's the two minute tutorial without pics.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Biilp hit it right,up to the point of painting,at that point go ahead and use some evercote gel coat.You can buy dye to match the gel coat that is there already.The trick to that is,put some of the evercote in something for mixing,and the dye to it,not much,just less then a drop at a time and mix it good.Take a stick or something on that line and dab it on the hull for match.After matching,then add your hardner.<br />The problem about filling in a hole below the water line is when you sand down to the fiberglass cloth,you are opening the fiber which will suck up water.That is why I would use a gel coat not just paint over a resin.

flashback

Captain

Hypersloth, Is this a plywood boat with just a "skin" of fiberglass on it? :confused:

Ralph 123

Captain

I am beginning to sound like a broken record but here goes anyway. There a LOTS of really good boat fiberglass repair videos out there (esp on eBay) cheap. They all walk you through the process of repairing fiberglass boats step-by-step and will set you back only $15 - $20 a tape. You get to watch people who do it for a living and pick up the tricks of the trade that make it so much easier IMHO.<br /><br />The ones I like are:<br /><br />"Fiberglass repair made easy Vol 1" Walks you through repairing a hole in the keel (using poly)<br /><br />"Cosmetic Fiberglass repair Vol 2" Repairing stress cracks, voids, etc. (Using poly fillers. milled fiber, cats hair, fairing, gelcoat) - Best tape on the market IMHO for cosmetic repairs and finish work<br /><br />"Cosmetic Fiberglass repair Vol 3" How to get a perfect gelcoat match<br /><br />"Fiberglass repair with Bruce McDougall" complete rehab of a 28' boat - stringers, bulkheads, transom, decks, etc<br /><br />"Fiberglass repair with West System Epoxy" Repairing holes in fiberglass with epoxy and how to use gelcoat over West Systems Epoxy. Also good tips for repairing holes when you can't get to both sides of the repair.