1975 johnson 135 was running good now no start

bobbyg843

Recruit
Hey all im new to the site. I have a 1975 Johnson 135 35ETL75E that was running, with a little bogging issue when there was some power applied with the motor tilted a bit, and wouldn't start the next day. The day after I took it out for its first trip it just wouldn't start, I know its getting fuel (will drain out the front with tilt) and the spark is good... when I first tried starting it I noticed that the flywheels nut was look and it wasn't fully engaging in the start sequence. I tightened it down and it sounds like it wants to kick over but wont, ive also tried spraying a little starter fluid but nothing. I also pulled apart the carbs, cleaned and rebuilt them (they were pretty dirty) put it all back togeather and still nothing and now im stumped, some help would be greatly appreciated.

willy007

Seaman
Re: 1975 johnson 135 was running good now no start

Welcome to iboats! :welcome:

What do you mean when you said that you applied power with the motor tilted a bit? Tilted how far? Additionally, what is your compression? If the flywheel nut was loose than your timing may be off as well. Get a timing light and check to make sure that the timing is correct. Make sure to fuel lines and connections (make sure that nothing is cracked or leaking)

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 johnson 135 was running good now no start

Loose nut is really a hint that something was amiss . I would take flywheel off and check the key and take a good look .