1974 OMC 165HP 18foot searay trihull engine wont turn over

davidwjacob

Cadet
Hello,

I got this boat a few months ago back from someone i sold it to 3 years ago. they messed up the prop and the tilt on the motor and then just pulled it from the water and had it wrapped and winterized by the marina. this was almost 3 years ago.

If the boat was winterized (which he claims it was professionally) , what do i need to do to summerize it?

I just recently got the boat back and i found a prop for it, but when i hook the battery up to it and try to just kick it to see if the motor will turn over it just clunks like this in this video. Im wondering if its just the cyl are stuck from sitting for 3 years, so i pulled the plugs and i have squirted wd40 into the cyl then put the plugs back in to let them sit. but do you think from the sound of the noise its making when i try to start it , that its the motor? or maybe something in the starter?

VID 20130808 190856 030 - YouTube

also is there anywhere to hook a rachet up to the motor to try to crank it over by hand?

Im slowly learning about this stuff from here , Im mechanically inclined i like to think, but im not a mechanic, if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any help
Dave

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1974 OMC 165HP 18foot searay trihull engine wont turn over

That sounds like the sylenoid to me, could very well be the starter but check the sylenoid first.

Jump accross that starter syleniod with a thick wire and see if it changes anything.

davidwjacob

Cadet
Re: 1974 OMC 165HP 18foot searay trihull engine wont turn over

Sorry didn't get back sooner, was raining here ,then busy weekend. Ok so over the weekend i tried this , the starter is fine, its engaging to the flywheel. I have been spraying some wd40 a few times last week down the cyl and still im getting nothing. I don't see how there is anyway for me to try to turn the engine over manually. there is no bolt on the front of the harmonic balancer to put a ratchet on and the mount for the motor is right on front of it.

does anyone know a trick to trying to crank the engine over manually to see if i can break the pistons free?

If i can get this free, then i think im just gonna sell the whole boat and trailer as it , with a sign saying engine needs rebuilding. Anyone in PA interested in a spare outdrive :)

Thanks
Dave