trim limit not working

bajatrouble

Cadet
I have an '86 Baja islander with an alpha 1 Outdrive, and having trouble with the trim. I checked the switch and it seems fine. I have power at the switch on the top wire when I hit the button up and on the bottom wire when I hit it down. Also all the time on the middle wire. The trailer button works fine. When o/d is down it will trim all the way up when holding trailer button. Now for the prob.! When I push down on the trim down switch it will work about 1/2 the time not every time, the pump will at least make a click noise ( so when it clicks but won't trim I release a try again until it works. The trim up however does nothing at all. No noises no clicks no movement. But like I said the trailer button will bring it up fine. Any thoughts?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: trim limit not working

Firstly, what is the serial number of your drive? Second, one solenoid system or 2? Third, 3 switch panel or is the trim control on the control handle?

Chris...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Sounds like you have two problems. 1: a down solenoid that needs replacing (the one with the green wire). 2: an open circuit in the trim limit circuit. Go the stern and locate two black wires that go to two terminals, one with a purple/white wire and one with two blue/white wires. Unplug the black wires and jumper between the two terminals with a short piece of wire. Try the trim switch. If it works the trim limit switch is your problem. If the wires look good you can try disassembling it and cleaning the contacts.

bajatrouble

Cadet

The switch is on the control handle. You need the sn off the bell housing, right? And how do I tell how many solenoid?

bajatrouble

Cadet

Thx terry, will be trying this next chance I get to work on it

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The switch is on the control handle. You need the sn off the bell housing, right?

No, from the drive.

bajatrouble said:
And how do I tell how many solenoid?

Go to the trim pump and look at it. Earlier pumps only had one solenoid, later ones had 2. Hopefully the serial number will be enough to get that information. Maybe a photo of the trim pump and all the wiring around it...

Chris.....

bajatrouble

Cadet

I dont see how it could matter but the drive is not original. I just put a dif. Drive on because the gears on the other went bad due to loss of oil. Found a reasonable swap. Which by the way seems to run good. I will get both son's.

bajatrouble

Cadet

SN is 6884161, there is 2 solenoids (can't figure out how to get the pic. on here with my phone), and trim switch is on transmission / throttle controller. Havnt had time to check anything else yet.