New 1963 Sea King owner

2bits

Cadet
Hi All,

I am not sure what forum to post a build thread in, so if someone could direct me that way it would be greatly appreciated! I didn't think the Completed Projects area would be appropriate.

At any rate, I have been looking for a vintage outboard project that was usable and actually had a title (this seems to be really difficult for some reason) and I found this 14 foot 1963 Montgomery Ward Sea King with a 40HP original Gale outboard on CL who is actually a member of this board for $800. It is tagged for another year and lake ready although many things were rigged up but that was exactly what I was looking for. In my mind, if everything is working great, then if/when it breaks out on the lake, I won't know how to make a repair, but re doing all the wiring and steering linkage is going to teach me what to do in the event that an issue occurs. With some slight negotiating, for condition and budget I brought it home for $660, I should call it $700 with the $40 in gas with the two hour drive, but I feel it was a fair deal for us both. I never low ball to get a "deal", I just offer what I am willing (and able) to pay.

I really like the size and the style and I love that it has no interior to speak of because that gives me a blank canvas to work with. It is a fiberglass boat and the floor is very solid with only one small spot where there isn't a hole, but it has broken through a bit, so I do not believe I will need to replace the floor, only do some fiberglass work. It is all original with the original steering wheel, speedometer and dash plate. It also has the original Sea Ray 40 HP engine which runs good (TBD). The only modification that someone made in the past is someone cut a round hole in the bow apparently to set up an umbrella when beached. I am going to see if I can find a chrome spotlight that I can mount right there.

Here's a couple a of pics, I have designed and built a replica 1947 Teardrop trailer so I respect the forgotten underdogs that people always ogle when they appear! I am looking forward to this restoration!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

2bits

Cadet
Re: New 1963 Sea King owner

Oops! I corrected the post, it is a Sea King, not a Sea Ray!

cr2k

Captain

Sounds like a fun project.

Btw Boats do have floors, rather they have a deck or a sole.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Cute little boat, should be a fun and very worthwhile project.

There is a hull repair and restoration forum that is better suited for topics like yours. There many boat heads lurk who love to tear into rotten old corroded and crusty boats of all shapes and sizes.

Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair