1951 Dorsett Cuddy-Restoration-Floors

joshuairv

Recruit
Hello everyone!
First time posting, but always reading. Recently I acquired a 1951 Dorsett with plans to restore it, over the winter and use it as a backup cruiser.
This will be my first time restoring one, but have experience with fiberglass and auto body repair.
Looking to step off in the right direction. First I plan on repairing the deck and transom, and could use some experienced professionals honest opinions.
I've ripped out the original stringers because they were literally DUST! When I kneeled down to feel the durability, they crumbled into dust. So they were removed. I havent noticed any holes or cracks in the hull but am pretty sure Ill need to lay fiber glass down in before installing new stringer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
More to come!

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1951 Dorsett Cuddy-Restoration-Floors

Welcome to iboats dry dock

If you haven't yet, you need to get the boat off the ground, preferably onto a wooden cradle to fully support the hull while you dismantle it & start the put back.

Take LOTS of pix, take LOTS of measurements to make it easier at put back....

Start reading thru the resto threads, lots of good info can be found in most of them...

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats dry dock

If you haven't yet, you need to get the boat off the ground, preferably onto a wooden cradle to fully support the hull while you dismantle it & start the put back.

Take LOTS of pix, take LOTS of measurements to make it easier at put back....

Start reading thru the resto threads, lots of good info can be found in most of them...

Another good place to have used the "LIKE" button!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Very classic looking boat. I've seen a couple long ago and liked the look, also just the right size for some of these smaller chain of lakes we have here. Take the time and you'll have a real niffty's fifty's back on the water.