1995 evirude 9.9hp no full power

jrdplowing

Seaman Apprentice
i have a problem with this motor, i cleaned and reset float and flot drop on carb,cleaned and checked fuel pump, but this motor will start and idle fine and even troll at low speeds just fine, but will not run at full power, mixture screw on carb was 4 turns out and thats the way i left it, all gas tank connections ok, any info would be appreciated,tnanks

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Re: 1995 evirude 9.9hp no full power

Sounds like you are running on only one cylinder. To confirm, start it up and let it warm up. On a fast idle, using an insulated pair of pliers, pull one spark plug boot at a time. The motor should be able to run on only one cylinder so if it dies, you know the other cylinder was never firing or was weak. If it does die out when you pull a plug boot, switch the boots and clips and do the test again and see if the problem stays on the same cylinder or moves to the other one.

jrdplowing

Seaman Apprentice

sounds good and smooth not rough like 1 cyl dead,someone told me there is a module or some kind of electrical part that could be the problem, thanks

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

That would be the power pack. What did that someone say the power pack would do? It would kill the spark to a cylinder. Unfortuneately there are a few other things that will kill the spark to a cylinder. There are also a few things that will make a cylinder not fire even when it is getting spark.

These motors run very smooth on only one cylinder with the exception that you do not get much top end power. If I were you I would run the test I suggested before you go replacing parts. Power packs are too expensive to replace for no reason at all.

Last edited:

jrdplowing

Seaman Apprentice

ok thanks iam going to check for both cylinders firing, but this is a low hour like new motor and dont think it is a engine problem, but somebody did helicoil one spark plug, thanks