public launch sites handicap accessible

aprilrose

Seaman Apprentice
I'm over 40 year fisherman now a disabled wanna fish man how do we use public pier or docks without safety rails theiy (authorities) claim sites are handicap accessible yes, the walkways ramps parking lots and restrooms but what about load the boat with young children, elderly persons,wounded warriors and or people with physical disabilities we (USA) have an ADA Act with title III standards for boating regulations who enforces these?? not NYS Region & for sure I contacted the DEC with no success with an answer they claim they reply to all concerns after 12 months not happening try moving up the power ladder all smoke CYA procedures (not-christian youth association either) do we have any recourse as citizens voters taxpayer sportsmen family and friends of the disabled I live in NY, do others have this problem my boat/trailer/and gear sit idle not good feeling Red Skies to all

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: public launch sites handicap accessible

How would you propose to make a boat dock handicap accessible, that is a pretty generic statement.

I'm looking at the ADA document and there is nothing in there about boat launches except for a minimum clear distance of 5 feet between piers.

2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design
Section 1003.3.1

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I gotta ask- how would one make a boat passenger loading area handicap accessible? Between tide swings (okay, maybe a floating dock) and boats of differing freeboard/gunwale height, some with swim platforms, some without... how would one design a 'one size fits all handicapped' method of boarding and disembarking from a moving object?

NYBo

Admiral

While I work with the disabled and advocate strongly for them, I have to agree with John. There would be no way to make a public launch site universally accessible.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm over 40 year fisherman now a disabled wanna fish man how do we use public pier or docks without safety rails theiy (authorities) claim sites are handicap accessible yes, the walkways ramps parking lots and restrooms but what about load the boat with young children, elderly persons,wounded warriors and or people with physical disabilities we (USA) have an ADA Act with title III standards for boating regulations who enforces these?? not NYS Region & for sure I contacted the DEC with no success with an answer they claim they reply to all concerns after 12 months not happening try moving up the power ladder all smoke CYA procedures (not-christian youth association either) do we have any recourse as citizens voters taxpayer sportsmen family and friends of the disabled I live in NY, do others have this problem my boat/trailer/and gear sit idle not good feeling Red Skies to all

Ayuh,.... I'm with the other posters,.... What would You proposed be done differently,....

I grew up with a handicapped Dad,... polio in his childhood,... right leg shorter, 'n smaller than 'is left,...

'n I was at the village park/ boat launch in Dexter Ny the other day,...

The boat launch had no dock, no nothin', not even a tree to tie a line too,...
Yet there was a wheelchair access dock for kayaks there,...
a cute little floatin' thing, with roller ramps for the kayaks, 'n chair passages to the parkin' lot,...

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

perhaps you are confusing fishing piers, which have rails and can be modified for a low-rail area for those in wheelchairs, with piers adjoining ramps, which cannot function if they have rails? Indeed, I hear there are public ramps with no piers at all, though I haven't seen them in Virginia, except small beach slide-in's.

In other words, the piers at a ramp are not for recreational use; they are for the limited purpose of launching and retrieving boats (although from comments here that seems to escape many users). And even then they require a lot of physical ability; one I use occasionally requires a lot of climbing and balancing skills as it is built high for storm tides in the first place and has a 4' tide to boot. Old, weak, injured, small and heavy people can't use it much.

A low floating dock attached to shore with a ADA accessible ramp may be the best means to get a person into an already floating boat, but some places (such as the one I mentioned) aren't suited to floating docks in the first place.

mphy98

Lieutenant

Ok i to have a handicapped person in our family But it is my responsibility to get him in the boat. not to sound harsh but do you expect a sling to help you get into the boat? someone else to launch your boat. Boating is a privilege not a right. It would cost billions to outfit every pier with a sling and a staff to launch boats for wheelchair bound persons. Again not be be harsh and I am a vet as well but this is something we cannot afford. Handicap access is for the pier to get on and off the pier. that is all the access that the law allows.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

perhaps you are confusing fishing piers, which have rails and can be modified for a low-rail area for those in wheelchairs, with piers adjoining ramps, which cannot function if they have rails? Indeed, I hear there are public ramps with no piers at all, though I haven't seen them in Virginia, except small beach slide-in's.

I was thinking the same... handicapped or not, NOBODY should be fishing from a courtesy dock at a ramp. That is simply off limits for fishing, no matter who you are. There are safety aspects involved, as well as the constant threat of sucking up a line. (and a fisherman getting mad at you for doing that)

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

the one on our lake won't even support 2WD vehicles let alone wheelchairs. There's no dock.

If the issue was pushed, I'm sure the municipality would sell the lot and there would be no public access.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

yes, the walkways ramps parking lots and restrooms but what about load the boat with young children, elderly persons,wounded warriors and or people with physical disabilities

I live in NY, do others have this problem my boat/trailer/and gear sit idle not good feeling Red Skies to all

No, the OP is talking about being able to get and off a boat at a public ramp/dock... and I just don't see how any municipality could accommodate every conceivable handicap. To even try and do so would invite never-ending challenges from anyone who had a disability that hadn't been addressed.

I admit to being ignorant of most points of the ADA, but I don't see being able to go boating as a protected right or necessity that needs to be addressed by the government. Unfortunately, sometimes life deals you a tough hand. I empathize, aprilrose, but I don't agree with your viewpoint. I am disabled, too. with emphysema. The day will come (not far off, either) when I can no longer summon the strength (and breath) to go boating... or take a long walk, or toss a ball around. I don't see how anyone else can solve that for me.

My .02

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

When I take my old Dad out with me later this month, it is completely my responsiblity to make sure he can get from my truck and into the boat. I am also responsible for getting him off the boat and back into the truck.
It would be impossible to make all the local ramps accessible for anyone with a disablility as there are so many ways one can be disabled.
With my Dad, age is the factor.
I have built a step for the dock I will be using and another step and support pole for the inside of my Islander.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

A low floating dock attached to shore with a ADA accessible ramp may be the best means to get a person into an already floating boat ...

San Diego installed such ramps years ago (of course our city is virtually bankrupt, nothing new there). Here's a picture of one of them.

Attachments

• San Diego Open Page 22-23.jpg
    San Diego Open Page 22-23.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 0

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I don't have an answer for your question, but I will tell you how I answered your question in real life, I am not Handicapped, a couple weeks ago I witnessed an older man wheeling a younger adult male in a wheel chair down the ramp and onto the dock then came back up the ramp and got his truck and trailer, turns out he was the truck and boat directly in front of me in line, he backs down the ramp and I got out and ran down to the dock because I knew exactly where this was going, he gets the boat in the water and he and I picked his 23 yr old Son out of the wheel chair and set him in the drivers seat, I told the father to give me his keys get in the boat I shoved them off and parked the truck. Then I launched and caught up to them, we talked a little bit and figured out we were both going to be on the lake about the same amount of time I gave them the keys and my cell number and told them if they wanted help give me a call anytime, the Son has been battling MS since he was 19, it was the Sons boat and he loved fishing but he simply cannot do it all himself anymore.

My point is there is no perfect answer, except helping one another, you are no less a man now then you were years ago when you were healthy, if you were in Colorado I would give you my number call me anytime, it would be my pleasure to help, don't hesitate to ask, sometimes people are a little afraid to offer, I don't know why, I am not. The most important part is that you have a safe, fun time on the water.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

My thought on this is to change boats... no other boat is more handicap friendly than a toon..... obviously you need help launching but a fold down aluminum ramp/gang plank off the side will make boarding from most floating docks a breeze and I have even seen slide out ramps on the front that would allow boarding from the shore.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes a pontoon is a lot simpler to use in this case. On my little lake that is 99 % pontoons it is very common to see wheel chair bound people out on the lake. The public launch ramp is designed for wheel chair access and a few of the boat owners have a small alum ramp to use from the dock on to their boats.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A lift/extending lift/ramp/crane/sling with an operator is not going to happen.
Pushing for that will end the same way the sling/lift/crane requirement for hotel hot tubs did -- the drain them and make a giant planter out of them because the lift cost and liability is too great.

I think the pontoon is the best solution, as it provides a stable boat, guard rails, easier access, etc.

aprilrose

Seaman Apprentice

chapter 1: 101.1, 105.2.4 106.5 chapter 2 235.1 235.2 can get a man on the Moon but not the Water seasonal floating dock with rails a simple rail itself would put a heck of alot of challenged people on/off the watercraft

aprilrose

Seaman Apprentice

your a good man LippCJ7 may you always catch your limit red skies at night

aprilrose

Seaman Apprentice

ty you ricohman ,for your reply would be interested in seeing some pics or info on how to build it red skies at night

oldjeep

Admiral

1: 101.1
105.2.4 - only mention is fishing piers, which are not boat launch docks
106.5 -definitions of terms
235.1 - General header
235.2 - Talks about boat slips, which are not boat launch docks

235.3 - Talks about boat launches with boarding piers which must be in compliance with 1003.3.2
1003.3.2 - shows the 60" min distance between piers on a boarding pier

There isn't anything in there about hand rails on boarding piers -which would be a huge mess to impliment since it would force boarding through a designated spot on the pier which may or may not work with all boats.