Selling USA registered boat in Canada?

Rbaaa18

Recruit
I'm a US citizen on vacation in Alberta. A Canadian guy inquired about buying my Tige from me. Wasn't really interested in selling but his offer is pretty generous. Can I sell to him legally while in Canada? I have titles with me as I wasn't sure if I needed proof of ownership crossing border. Thanks for any thoughts.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Selling USA registered boat in Canada?

I'm a US citizen on vacation in Alberta. A Canadian guy inquired about buying my Tige from me. Wasn't really interested in selling but his offer is pretty generous. Can I sell to him legally while in Canada? I have titles with me as I wasn't sure if I needed proof of ownership crossing border. Thanks for any thoughts.

Although I don't have first hand knowledge of this, take 25% or so off his generous offer, as you are going to be paying customs when you cross back into the US.

A Canadian citizen buying a US registered boat is supposed to buy it in the USA and bring it back over the border - paying all applicable taxes and duties at that time.
This buyer either doesn't know that, or he does and doesn't care. He will be breaking all kinds of laws :(
I don't know what your status will be in this? Do the border agencies share information? What will you say when he US border agent asks " what happened to your boat"??
If the guy really wants the boat, tell him to follow you back over the border then sign the boat over to him ( for CASH ) and let him bring it in legally!

82rude

Rear Admiral

get the guy to call Canada customs and get the scoop right from them.why would us customs know what the poster brought over? ,you don't go through their customs and declare anything on the way up here.what ever you do ,do it right the first time those customs and exsize guys have no sence of humor trust me.you might be able to bring it back to the border and sell it right there at the customs office and he could pay the taxs and other stuff with their full knowledge.when I bought a classic sled over in Michigan all I remember I had to do was stop at American customs and they stamped the title as kosher.then on to our customs where they laughed at me for buying a relic and sent me on my way duty and tax free.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Neighbour did it, not a big hassle, if I remember right.
The new owner does the paper work (Canadian) Down load the paper work, fill it in and go to the nearest border point (usually the airport) and pay the guys and get the stamp.
Boats are not an issue, the trailer if there is one needs to be done the same way, but he must register it for an inspection.
It is importing, but the unit is already in country.

Or something close to that

Rbaaa18

Recruit

Thanks guys, I just called Canadian Border Services to get the "horses mouth" version. It is not illegal to sell it to him in Canada. He needs to have signed off titles for both trailer and boat; plus a bill of sale for both trailer and boat, he is required to complete a "RIV" form which can be downloaded and completed online/pd for ($195), then he needs temporary permit for travel, takes boat and trailer to Canadian Border Services office (eg Edmonton) & shows titles, bills of sale, RIV form, pays GST and has trailer inspection done & that's it. After suggesting her infor was different than what I had "heard" she said there is a lot of misinformation "out there" about this process. No duty, customs etc.

Thanks guys, I just called Canadian Border Services to get the "horses mouth" version. It is not illegal to sell it to him in Canada. He needs to have signed off titles for both trailer and boat; plus a bill of sale for both trailer and boat, he is required to complete a "RIV" form which can be downloaded and completed online/pd for ($195), then he needs temporary permit for travel, takes boat and trailer to Canadian Border Services office (eg Edmonton) & shows titles, bills of sale, RIV form, pays GST and has trailer inspection done & that's it. After suggesting her infor was different than what I had "heard" she said there is a lot of misinformation "out there" about this process. No duty, customs etc.

Thanks for posting the official version :) Deciphering the gov't regs online is next to impossible ! I've bookmarked this for future use.
So, you can now safely sell the boat and then buy a nice new one when you get home - saves towing it too :)