73 johnson 85hp green gelish fluid coming from under flywheel

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class
So i noticed a small amount of green gel looking substance seeping from under flywheel. Last week on the water I ran about 20 miles worth at full power. Then I shut the boat down and restarted later to find that now I am only getting about 75% power on a maxed out throttle cable. Not sure if they are related. just looking for what to do now.

I have checked all fuel lines, changed filters, installed inline filter, compression is perfect, spark is good on all 4 cyl.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 73 johnson 85hp green gelish fluid coming from under flywheel

99.9% chance that green stuff is melted stator coils. Yes that might be your ignition / power loss. More often, it will just be hard to start.

In any case, if it is the stator, you will have to replace it. They have new ones here at iboats.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the stator (beginning of charging & ignition system, under flywheel) is melting down. If so, replace the stator as eventually you will have no ignition at all.

Also, check the rectifier. If it is blown, of course the tachometer wouldn't function, but worse yet is that the power, charging voltage, current, at the stator would not be able to travel to the battery and would simply back up at the stator, causing the stator to overheat, melt down, etc.

(Small Rectifier Description & Location)
(J. Reeves)

On most 2,3,4,6 cylinder engines, the small rectifier is located on the starboard (right) side of the engine just in front of the engines electrical wiring strip. There are a few older V4 engines that have the wiring strip on the rear portion of the engine and the rectifier would be located just under that terminal strip. The smaller horsepower engines usually have the rectifier located on the starboard side of the powerhead close to the carburetor area.

The rectifier appears to be a round object approximately one inch (1") in diameter and also about one inch (1") high. The base of it is sort of triangular in appearance and is attached to the engine with two (2) screws/bolts..... usually one screw/bolt is larger than the other. The rectifier, depending on which one your engine uses, will have either:

One Red wire, one Yellow wire, and one Yellow/Gray wire, or One Red wire, and two Yellow wires.

Note that either of the above rectifiers could have a fourth wire which would be Yellow/Blue

(Small Rectifier Test)
(J. Reeves)

Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a fourth yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.

Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.

Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.

Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately.

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK excellent, by chance do you know part numbers for what I can use. I know my stock part number is 581046.

However I see a lot of evinrude stators on ebay at the moment and would like to jump on one if possible. Any and all compatible part numbers would be fantastic.

thanks for the detail I will ohm the rectifier this week as well per your advice.

Also if anyone has one for sale used please PM me!

Thanks again,

Tmac

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The original and superseded stator part numbers are as follows: 581046 --> 581225 --> 763772 (last known number as of 2010).

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok so I am ordering one with part number 581225 and that will work? The seller claims its coming off a 1975 and fits 75 plus.

Thanks for the leads. Hopefully I can get this up and running.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well the official books say it will work. There may be some surprises with the wires or something, I dunno.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Stator #581225 (that number will be printed directly on the stator) will be an exact fit for the 1973 model V4.

Stator #581225 is the improved fully insulated unit that looks like a solid green ring which encloses "all" of the associated coils. Make sure it is not cracked anywhere or shows signs of having anything ooze out of it.

DO NOT install a stator (original not insulated) that has all of the coils exposed as it will encounter a overheat meltdown in a short time.

rookie456

Petty Officer 3rd Class

DO NOT install a stator (original not insulated) that has all of the coils exposed as it will encounter a overheat meltdown in a short time.

I have the same issue with my stator, now I know it was caused by blown rectifier. Is this what you mean by "exposed coils"

stator.JPG

Tmacular

Petty Officer 1st Class

makes sense. I was looking at it wondering where the coils were and that created my confusion.

Looks like I might have a good deal here then.

Thanks so much.