Boat accessories only work when engine is running

jeeper31

Cadet
Ok, so this is a weird one. I just bought an 89 Bayliner 2755 'as is', needless to say I have been working on it constantly. My latest problem is I cannot get any accessories working unless the engine is running OR has been running recently. What happens is this, if the boat has been sitting for about a day without running and I flip my battery selector to either battery none of the accessories work when i turn the key to ACC or RUN. If I start the boat and let it run for a bit all of the accessories, including all my gauges, spring to life and work perfectly. Then, when I turn off the engine almost everything (except the gauge back lights) stays on for a bit no matter what position the key is in. Any ideas on this one would be most appreciated, thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boat accessories only work when engine is running

Ok, so this is a weird one. I just bought an 89 Bayliner 2755 'as is', needless to say I have been working on it constantly. My latest problem is I cannot get any accessories working unless the engine is running OR has been running recently. What happens is this, if the boat has been sitting for about a day without running and I flip my battery selector to either battery none of the accessories work when i turn the key to ACC or RUN. If I start the boat and let it run for a bit all of the accessories, including all my gauges, spring to life and work perfectly. Then, when I turn off the engine almost everything (except the gauge back lights) stays on for a bit no matter what position the key is in. Any ideas on this one would be most appreciated, thanks!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... What motor, 'n drive is in the bayliner,..??

jeeper31

Cadet

The engine is a Mercruiser MCM 260 and a Cobra Outdrive.

jeeper31

Cadet

I found it. The main electrical connection for all the accessories coming from the engine to the helm was loose. I noticed it while I was working on the engine, I bumped the connector and heard the water pump kick on for a second. I love cheap easy fixes :joyous: