Need assistance on what loctite/sealant I need...

NoStress

Cadet
My parts (thermostat and water pump kit) should be here today.

Reading my repair manual it states I need Loctite 271 for the bolts on the water pump and Loctite 405 for the water tube.

The problem I have is the Loctite 271 is a HEAVY Duty loctite. I would have to use heat to remove the bolts. I know when I took off the bolts this time, I did not use heat!

Also, the Loctite 405 is a super glue type. Again, when I removed the water tube it was not glued on at all.

What do most of you use for Loctite the water pump bolts?

I can super glue the tube if necessary but do not want to use heat the next time I change my water pump!

FYI: The products my book says I need...

__ Non-hardening gasket sealant (Hold Outside ((engine)) bolts)
__ Quicksilver 2-4-C with Teflon (grease water pump housing/drive shaft)
__ Loctite 405 (water tube seal)
__ Loctite 271 (Housing bolts)
__ Marine grade grease (to hold key)
__ Suitable solvent to clean

Thanks,

Greg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need assistance on what loctite/sealant I need...

In industry we used Locktite all the time. The Red, as stated in the data published by them is for permanent fasteners and requires heat to remove. The Blue is made for removable fasteners and requires no heat. Even though my Merc engine manual refers to Red, I use Blue on everything. I was in industry for many 10's of years and NEVER once did Blue let us down. Personally I think whomever wrote the service manual and specified Red did so out of ignorance knowing full well that the engines were going to be serviced over their useful life, and that the engine contained components sensitive to that heat.

Mark

NoStress

Cadet
Re: Need assistance on what loctite/sealant I need...

In industry we used Locktite all the time. The Red, as stated in the data published by them is for permanent fasteners and requires heat to remove. The Blue is made for removable fasteners and requires no heat. Even though my Merc engine manual refers to Red, I use Blue on everything. I was in industry for many 10's of years and NEVER once did Blue let us down. Personally I think whomever wrote the service manual and specified Red did so out of ignorance knowing full well that the engines were going to be serviced over their useful life, and that the engine contained components sensitive to that heat.

Mark

Thank you. That is what I thought...more or less!

Blue it is!