trying to figure out chrysler 85hp trim/tilt

jmax857

Recruit
So on my 16.5ft chrysler mustang with a 75hp chrysler. I had a parts 85hp charger. I took the power trim tilt off of it hoping it would work. The tilt works great, but there is no trim, now to me it looks like it only has power tilt since it only has the one cylinder with lines attached and nothing that looks like a trim cylinder. Now my co-worker which I acquired the engine from argues saying it had power trim and tilt. The only piece to the puzzle that baffles me is the small cylinder mounted to a rubber hose, it was dangling off to the side of the engine when I got it and all I did was attach it to the hull with 2 small screws. I think it is just a tilt limit plunger of somekind but my coworker swears it to be part of the tilt function.
The plunger is about the size and length of my pinky and has 2 holes for mounting.

Sorry to ask such a question without pictures. But no one knows anything about older chryslers as they are not very common around my area, I have had maybe one come in the shop in the past 4 years and it was a 55hp.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: trying to figure out chrysler 85hp trim/tilt

You do not have trim! The small cylinder you describe bolts between the engine transom clamps. When you activate up tilt, the plunger depresses the reverse lock allowing the engine to rise. Mounted to the transom, it will not correctly release and the tilt will "Snap" the reverse lock as if you had hit something at speed.

This assumes that the reverse lock is functioning

jmax857

Recruit
Re: trying to figure out chrysler 85hp trim/tilt

Thankyou. As I assumed it had nothing to do with trim function.
Do you have a picture of where it mounts?
right now I have a plunger I can pull to engage and disengage the reverse lock, but automatic would be nice.

Also could I add a trim cylinder to my system or is my pump only capable of tilt?

Either way its so much better than lifting that brute out of the water by hand.
Its only my second year with the boat and last year I had to lift it manually and what a pain that was.