tim gauge

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Ok so now I think its time to try to get my trim gauge working on the dash. My trim works just fine but for some reason my gauge isn't registering at all. Where should I start looking, lol?

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: tim gauge

What drive? What motor?
Grub
Looked at your profile,
Check @ your drive there should be a puck sender @ each side of the bell,check the wires leading to them.
Are they cracked/broken?
Grub

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The trim sender is a ring of copper and a pointer. It is located on the tilt pivot of the outdrive under a plastic cover. because they are exposed to the water, they rot out.

ericcarr2000

Ensign

I just took a quick at them puck senders. I took the two screws off of them and the wires looked fine to me.

ericcarr2000

Ensign

Im assuming these wires that are attached to the trim senders attach to the trim pump? Also when I took them two screws off I noticed that it seemed to be somewhat of an adjustment on the side of them, almost like a choke assembly...

alldodge

Staff member

Im assuming these wires that are attached to the trim senders attach to the trim pump? Also when I took them two screws off I noticed that it seemed to be somewhat of an adjustment on the side of them, almost like a choke assembly...

The sender is adjusted by having someone look at the trim gauge and another ajust it. With the trim all the way down turn the ring until the gauge shows at the botom of the green scale. You can the use the trim up on ther throttle and it should stay in the green range, if it doesn't readjust. Most senders do not provide a real smooth movement over the entire range of the gauge.
The sender does not attach to the trim pump system. Only the trim limit switch that is located on the port side of the drive is used in the trim pump system.

Is there a way to test these senders?

Use an ohm meter on the sender wires coming from the sender and when the drive moves up/down the resistance will change.
To test limit switch push the up trim and it should shut the pump off when the adjusted limit has been reached. Other wise use an ohm meter and connect them to the two wires coming from the limit switch, and with the drive down it should indicate 0 ohms..