99 stratos 273 vindicator bow dig?

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 99 stratos 273 17 foot with a 150 johnson 14.5 24 raker prop. I have a jackplate and the eingine is set at 4.5 below the pad.

My problem is there doesn't seem to be enough bow lift and the boat violently digs the bow into the water at high speeds and it get dangerous. This doesn't seem to be the chine walk that everyone talks about.

My question is how do I get more bow lift? From what I have read this is propped right so I guess I have to move the engine either up or down but what creates more lift a high engine or low?

When I am by my self I can't get the boat past 50mph and then it seems to dig the bow into the lake and I have to slow down but when i head into the wind the bow lifts right out of the lake.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 99 stratos 273 vindicator bow dig?

How does the cupping on the prop look? It may be time to have it freshened up. Have you tried raising the motor any? I would try it at 3.5" below the pad and see if lift improves.

There really is not a motor height setting that creates better lift. It comes down to what height works the best for your setup. Too low and you burry the prop and lose performance too high and the prop slips and you lose lift. I suspect you're too low and you're boat can't get on the pad.

Also make sure you keep a eye on water pressure as you raise the motor.

If all else fails see if you can borrow/test a Tempest Plus.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 99 stratos 273 17 foot with a 150 johnson 14.5 24 raker prop. I have a jackplate and the eingine is set at 4.5 below the pad.

My problem is there doesn't seem to be enough bow lift and the boat violently digs the bow into the water at high speeds and it get dangerous. This doesn't seem to be the chine walk that everyone talks about.

My question is how do I get more bow lift? From what I have read this is propped right so I guess I have to move the engine either up or down but what creates more lift a high engine or low?

When I am by my self I can't get the boat past 50mph and then it seems to dig the bow into the lake and I have to slow down but when i head into the wind the bow lifts right out of the lake.

Ayuh,.... Check the last 6 feet of the hull at the keel line for Straightness,...

It sounds like the hull has a 'ell of a Hog in it,..

I'm guessin' you'll see daylight, 'tween the hull, 'n straightedge,...

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This hull is straight. as for the cupping of the prop i'm not sure as I don't have another one to compare it to. It feels like there is a bunch of cup in the prop.

With two people in the boat I can't get past 5100 rpm either so I think the prop is too deep.

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also i'm not sure how it would have a "hog" in it it's a composite hull.... Fiberglass doesn't bend it breaks... So your saying all 17 foot stratos boats have this "hog"?

also i'm not sure how it would have a "hog" in it it's a composite hull.... Fiberglass doesn't bend it breaks... So your saying all 17 foot stratos boats have this "hog"?

fiberglass will bend and if its been kept on a trailer that is not supporting the hull correctly you can bend the hull. I would surgest running the boat with 2 people then at high speed look over the back and take a picture so you can see where the water level is on the leg of the motor. If the motor is to high then it will not react to trimming up. Ive no idea what the results from to low are.

p.s a weak trim motor may also be a problem if it can not trim the motor out at speed

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Float boat and trim engine to remain perpendicular (90 deg) with respect to water level, go for a wot spin with 2 well deck distributed, check if continues to dig bow against water, if not, you were badly trimmed. If continues, check at wot if water flow is passing slight under upper water def plate or over lower anticav plate as to dial best engine-transom height match to improve boat performance.

Happy Boating

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't see it bending the composite stringers in the boat sitting on a trailer. Would have to be some weak fiberglass, I consulted my step father who has been in the custom yacht industry for 30 years and he said it is not likely.

Also this boat will only trim to a certain degree after 3500 rpm

Bondo

Staff member

I can't see it bending the composite stringers in the boat sitting on a trailer. Would have to be some weak fiberglass, I consulted my step father who has been in the custom yacht industry for 30 years and he said it is not likely.

Also this boat will only trim to a certain degree after 3500 rpm

Ayuh,... A 6' straightedge, 'n 10 minutes, 'n you'll Know for a Fact what's up,....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If the transom is weak the motor may be sagging and unable to make full trim.
The stringers may be fine; the hull or transom itself may be compromised.
The motor trim may not be right?

phoenixgold2100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat is in perfect condition. the hull and transom are in perfect shape the trim works as it should. My problem is the boat will not get up on its pad.

I have read that this raker 24 prop likes to be deep in the water but others say to have it 3.5 below the pad so i am confused. I haven't adjusted the engine yet.

dss.jpg

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

I think your just going to have to play with the motor height. Looks like you have a Rapid Jack jack plate so it will be easy to adjust. They raise and lower in 1/4" increments. I would raise it 2 clicks and see if things improve.