1972 25' Allman Restore Questions.

golver

Seaman Apprentice
I got a bunch of questions about a potential project I am thinking of taking on.<br /><br />I have come across a 1972 25' Allman Hull. The hull has been completely restored including new paint job. New gauges, controls, radar bracket (goes over the boat like a row bar on a jeep), hydraulic trim tabs, nice trailer, outdrive thru hull bracket, exhaust, bilge pumps, 2 new 40 gallon gas tanks, matching canopy, and a few extras.<br /><br />It needs new wiring, a motor, a outdrive, major interior cosmetics, seating, steering system, and some other obvious boating necessities. <br /><br />Over all the boat hull looks good.<br /><br />Does anyone know anything about Allman's? Anything I should look for? The boat takes a 350 for a motor; can I use a car motor? <br /><br />If I wanted to seal up the outdrive hole and put a bracket on for an outboard motor or 2, rather then an I/O, what would that entail? Anything I should look for now on the boat to tell if that is even feasible?<br /><br />Is the hull worth it at currently $2k for the current project as is?<br /><br />I am looking for any advice I can get on this and your information would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thank you,<br />Jason B

golver

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1972 25' Allman Restore Questions.

Due to the lack of response, I think I once again asked to many questions and made it to much work.<br /><br />Let me streem line this:<br />Does anyone know anything about Allman's? Anything I should look for? The boat takes a 350 for a motor; can I use a car motor? <br /><br />If the hull is solid, is it worth it at 2k?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I think that it is immaterial what the brand is. Manufacturers put out scant information on the boat itself. <br /><br />Offer to take it off of their hands for no charge. To take on a project like this without experience is a formula for financial disaster. You apparently do not even know what outdrive the boat was set up for. You would need to match it exactly or go for a major transom reworking.<br /><br />You will spend and incredible amount of time and money, not to even mention the learning curve, to take on a project like that. Sounds like someone else has already gotten buried in this project and is trying to bail out, hoping to find another sucker.

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

agreed. I wouldnt take it on.<br />Sorry<br /><br />cheers

golver

Seaman Apprentice

I know what motor and outdrive fits the boat. The controls and everything are already there, as well as the mounts, exhaust, mount for the outdrive. The wiring it needs is for the electronic and anything needed to be replaced for the new motor. The steering system is there, but frozen up from sitting so long. <br /><br />It needs alot to be nice, it needs a little to get working for fishing.<br /><br />Is it that difficult to drop a new motor and put on a new outdrive?<br /><br />I am inexperienced, having done some rebuilding on 4 other (13.5', 18', 21', 29' sailboat) boats, but nothing this quite extreme. I work in IT and do trouble shooting all day long, so I have the mind set for it.<br /><br />So minus my experience level, you do not think it would be worth the money in the end?

jmccall001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stop and Think<br />We all look at our emotions -what a great boat, not too much work, a real classic - you are looking at least at $-2000 for an engine, new, plus upper and lower drives, plus labor - 7-8K with you still having an older used boat. Do you plan on keeping it for years? A wooden classic

Bondo

Staff member

John Allman designed some Super Hulls,......<br /><br />If this 1 is set up for a Mercruiser,.... Or Volvo,......<br />I'd say Go For It.............<br /><br />If it's set up for an OMC,...... I'd give it Alot More Thought..........