Elastomeric on top of gelcoat?

nopEda

Cadet
The roof of my houseboat is covered with decades old gelcoat which is cracked and leaking. I would like to cover it with elastomeric and I've seen roofs where people have done that. One of the roofs looks fine like the elastomeric did great. On another one there are spots where the rubber is pealing off. I had thought that elastomeric and rubber roof stuff were the same thing and elastomeric is just a brand name, but in another thread I saw where a person specifically said that elastomeric is good but that rubber roof stuff will peal off. What's the difference and what to look for? Is it true that elastomeric works well, but the rubber stuff does not?

Thanks for any help with this!
David

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Elastomeric on top of gelcoat?

The roof of my houseboat is covered with decades old gelcoat which is cracked and leaking. I would like to cover it with elastomeric and I've seen roofs where people have done that. One of the roofs looks fine like the elastomeric did great. On another one there are spots where the rubber is pealing off. I had thought that elastomeric and rubber roof stuff were the same thing and elastomeric is just a brand name, but in another thread I saw where a person specifically said that elastomeric is good but that rubber roof stuff will peal off. What's the difference and what to look for? Is it true that elastomeric works well, but the rubber stuff does not?

Thanks for any help with this!
David

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Go with a colored roll-on bedliner type material, rather than house roof coatin's,...

It'll seal things up, if done right, 'n is very walkable after,...

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Elastomeric on top of gelcoat?

Sand it down, fill in imperfections with epoxy, acetone, dry, acetone, dry, base primer, goop coat-it or truck bed liner. Use white to reduce heat transferred from sun.