2007 75 Horse Evinrude ETEC stalling after running normally for a short time

Connery

Recruit
Hello,

Recently bought a Pontoon with a 2007 75 horse Evinrude ETEC (E75DPLSUM) on it. When we took it out on the water, it ran normally for a short time and then loaded up like it was starving for fuel and then died. The only way to get it restarted was to pump the primer bulb again. Once I finally got it restarted, I had someone watch the fuel line and they noticed that as I increased the throttle, the fuel line AFTER the bulb was sucking closed. So to limp back to the dock, they had to continue pumping the bulb to keep the line from collapsing.

After getting home, I removed the engine cover and saw that there was a lot of crud in the fuel filter so I replaced it. I also pulled off the fuel line coming from the tank and going into the engine to the lift pump and found that the inner core of the fuel line, including the fiber braiding had melted and was mostly gone and had clogged up the line going into the lift pump as well as the T fitting where the oil injector joins the line. I replaced all of this with new 3/8" line and thought the issue was corrected.

When we take the boat out again, it does the same thing. Leave the dock and runs fine for a few minutes and then loads up and stalls out. Once re-started, it ran for about 20 minutes at 2500RPM, at which point we stopped for a while. Engine restarted normally and this time is stalled several times running at ANY RPM, as well as surging quite a bit.

I'm not sure what a previous owner put in the tank that melted the inner core of the fuel lines or what damage that might have done to the engine, but hopefully none of the melted rubber particles was able to get past the fuel filter and get to the injectors. I haven't replaced the molded fuel lines coming out of the lift pump (8 and 10 on the fuel filter diagram), but I'm thinking I need to remove the lift pump and see what damage might have been done in there.

So, other than crud in the lift pump, or damaged rubber check valves from whatever it was that melted the fuel lines (E85??) what else might be causing the fuel delivery issue?

Thanks
Connery Carroll
Canton, TX

Connery

Recruit
Re: 2007 75 Horse Evinrude ETEC stalling after running normally for a short time

Anyone?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2007 75 Horse Evinrude ETEC stalling after running normally for a short time

Take a fuel sample from your fuel tank in a clear glass jar and see what it looks like.

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

With the HOSE sucking down after the primer bulb it sets off alarms in my head that say "Ethanol fuel damage". The crud in your filter also screams this. Check all of your fuel lines. Hint: take a piece of the line that sucks down and cut about a 1/2 inch of it down the length of it ,open it up and see if you have a sticky black goo inside the line. I have seen ethanol fuel destroy entire fuel systems.

Connery

Recruit

With the HOSE sucking down after the primer bulb it sets off alarms in my head that say "Ethanol fuel damage". The crud in your filter also screams this. Check all of your fuel lines. Hint: take a piece of the line that sucks down and cut about a 1/2 inch of it down the length of it ,open it up and see if you have a sticky black goo inside the line. I have seen ethanol fuel destroy entire fuel systems.

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned in my initial post, I replaced all of the fuel line from the tank to the lift pump due to something (probably E85) melting the inner part of the lines, even down to dissolving some of the braiding that is molded into the middle of the fuel line wall.boatfuel1.jpg

After I posted, I took the lift pump off and pulled all of the lines coming out of the pump and going to the fuel filter and from the fuel filter down to the vapor separator/pump assembly and this is what I found:

Lift Pump on the motor
boatfuel2.jpg

rubber particles clogging the lift pump inlet
boatfuel3.jpg

rubber particles clogging the lift pump inlet screen
boatfuel4.jpg

After seeing this I'm surprised that the motor even ran at all. I have ordered the rebuild kit for the lift pump as well as a new screen along with the two molded lines that go to either side of the fuel filter.

Connery

Recruit
After rebuilding the lift pump and replacing all of the fuel lines the engine ran great for the rest of the Summer. Now that I'm getting it ready to go out again this Summer, the engine wont run at higher RPM's. It idles perfectly, but when I advance the throttle it loads up and starts surging. It sounds like it would when you constantly pump the throttle to rev it up and down. Replaced the plugs, indexed them properly and it still surges at higher RPM's.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You may have some fuel injectors giving you problems. Do a cylinder drop test on it and see if you can nail it down to one cylinder.