Wiring Advice

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have recently installed a few electronics on by boat and have wiring running up under the gunwhales. I bought little plastic hooks with peel off sticky backs on them but they fell off in fairly short order. Then I pulled the sticky back off, ruffed them up and put some jb weld on them. Those came off as well.
What do you guys use to solve this problem?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Wiring Advice

Polyurethane construction adhesive or 3M 4200 adhesive.

alldodge

Staff member

Most the time epoxy will work but it needs to have a surface at which to stick; as in painting prep makes the difference. I usually just use screws where the wall is thick enough. If all else fails mix up some fiberglass resin and use as glue to hold something to hold or build it up so you can screw to.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The hardware on my gunwales is thru bolted. Removed several nuts and installed nylon cable supports every so often.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Like dingbat says, there's often bolts through the rub rail into the gunnels where wire harnesses most often are located. Using a mounted head cable tie and a second nut is often the easiest way to support these cables. - Grandad
Mounted Head Cable Ties

mercurymang

Wow, thanks guys. This is some great info. Now I have lots of options.

mercurymang

Ok, I took off the those plastic clips last night, cleaned them off and reattached them with 5200 (cause I had that). When and checked them this morning and they now seem to be very strongly connected. Time will tell though.

haulnazz15

Captain

Ok, I took off the those plastic clips last night, cleaned them off and reattached them with 5200 (cause I had that). When and checked them this morning and they now seem to be very strongly connected. Time will tell though.

Yeah, well with 5200, you're never getting those things back off, lol.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Snickers yea if you ever remove then it will take a wood chisel.

matt167

Captain

3M Red mounting tape is what I use for that kind of thing. That is the mounting tape that has red peel offs on it, but is actually clear. It's the same stuff that car window Vent shades are attached with.. Extremely hard to remove, but that's what you want when you grab that stuff

mercurymang

Yeah, well with 5200, you're never getting those things back off, lol.

Ok, that stuff is permanent? That's ok, I have no intention of taking them off until i decide to do a rebuild.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

with plastic hooks and 5200... my method of removal would be an angle grinder and a tiger disc..... sand through the plastic to get at the 5200 LOL!