Yamaha 115 2 stroke 2003, runs but won't start fuel issue

denwood

Recruit
I have a new to me 2003 115 V-4 two stroke. Sea trial at purchase in June went perfect. I just put it in for the first ride yesterday and it started just fine, like it did on trial. After 15 minutes it stalled when at low idle in gear. Restarted fairly easily and off we went. 15 minutes later, at a low idle, it died as I tried to accelerate and would not restart. Would not even sputter, cough, nothing.

At home, I tried it again, cold, today, nothing. I checked all 4 fuel bowls, sediment filter in engine, in-line small filter and all fuel looked and smelled clear and fine. I checked the spark and it looked fine. Tried again and not even a sputter or cough. I took an eyedropper and squirted a dropper of fuel in each carb and it fired off instantly and kept running. I ran it at idle and revved it a few times. Shut it off and tried to restart in 5 minutes and nothing at all. Shot more in carbs and it started instantly and kept going until I turned it off.

Not sure what it should do fuel wise during starting but pumping the throttle doesn't squirt fuel in carbs like my other 4 stroke and I could not ever smell fuel in the carbs even after trying to start without success.

Any ideas, Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 115 2 stroke 2003, runs but won't start fuel issue

Have you tried using the choke and verified it was functioning properly when you hit it?
Might look at the owners manual.
You should be able to read it online if you do not have a hard copy

Toddboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Yammie has a choke on the middle carb, a.k.a. fuel enrichment assembly. It works by pushing the key in, which sends an electrical signal to the assembly which opens a needle valve which primes the carbs on startup. It also has a small red lever on it that can be turned to an emergency position, which I suppose essentially bypasses the carbs and primes the motor while running just to get you home. I think your problem may be partly in this assembly, and also possibly in the carbs considering you stalled on throttle up. Perhaps some bad gas or gunk worked its way into both during the time the boat was not in use. it would make sense that it worked fine when you seatrialed it, until the gunk found its way into these components.
After winter storage, my boat ran 100% for about 5 miles, then it stalled out. I had to clean the carbs out really good by soaking them. I don't have a problem with starting it, so I didn't bother to look into the fuel enrichment system, but you should.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Todd , pushing in on key does nothing on a prime start motor.
You need to some more research on the system on you motor

denwood

Recruit

My particular motor has a key push choke that is just a solenoid that closes a normal choke flap on all 4 carbs at once. They do not seem to do any other function and flip open and closed with nothing more than a click when I do them manually. It doesn't not seem to prime the carbs like other engines I have had.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

make sure they are closing all the way, may need some adjusting if they do not