VRO pump leaking fuel causing no oil alarm?

Yote3

Recruit
So after a great deal of time on the forum here and other places I'm at a loss.

First, the specs: 1996 Evinrude 115 Intruder.

Here is the problem I'm having. When the boat is launched it fires right up without a fight at all but within 30 seconds to about 90 seconds the no oil alarm sounds. After reading about the common culprits ranging from the obvious lack of oil, to loose wires, to air in the line and finding none of the above I continued to read. What I found was a mixed bag of emotion about how these VRO systems are of the devil or the best thing for your motor. After all my additional reading I discovered that this could possibly be a fuel issue rather than a oil issue(strange since the no oil light and all). So we take the boat out again to see if this was the case. What we discovered was that as long as we kept someone on the gas bulb the motor ran without the no oil alarm sounding. It also ran like a raped ape the entire time and dang it felt good to have her run again without sounding an alarm so this was promising.

Upon inspection of the fuel line we discovered 2 leaks. The first leak was between the motor and the bulb so we replaced that fuel line. The second leak was where the oil line goes into the VRO. However, there is zero oil leaking from this location and instead gas is leaking out. We took the cover off and applied a gas and oil proof sealant. After putting it all back together we discovered that the leak was not resolved but that it appeared to be coming out of the front of the cover which is not a hard plastic but more rubber like. Out of frustration, we applied the sealant to the front of this cover which you can see in the picture below. tomorrow I'll test again to see if this resolves the leak but I have little hope tha it will work much less how long it will hold.

VRO.jpg

My question is what the heck is going on and where do I go from here? I have no desire to remove the VRO system due to prejudice but I'm not wanting to put $400 into a pump. If replacement is my only solution then I understand that a premix pump is much cheaper and I would prefer to go that direction as a result of the savings. This leads me to my next question. What pump do I buy for the premix option and ball park what will I have to spend on the pump to get running again.

Sincerely, JRE

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: VRO pump leaking fuel causing no oil alarm?

There are OMS rebuild kits for the gasoline side of the pump. Look on the maxrules website for a recommendation.

Yote3

Recruit

There are OMS rebuild kits for the gasoline side of the pump. Look on the maxrules website for a recommendation.

I've looked at those but will it work considering that the gas leak is coming from the oil intake portion of the VRO pump?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That is a question for the Maxrules mechanic.....