That little walk through from the cockpit to teh bow?

Tanhands

Recruit
I don't know what to call it so I can't search for it.

I have a 95 Crownline 225BR that has a swing away opening in the windshield to walk up to the bow. That window is very hard to close and you have to push the cockpit area apart to make the opening wide enough for the window to close.

Is this bad and can I fix it?

Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: That little walk through from the cockpit to teh bow?

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Check the supporting structure of the consoles on either side of the walk-thru . . . As a boat ages, they tend to sag, closing up the window frame. If it is sagging, you will want to figure out why, etc.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Do you have adjustable window frame 'struts' the support both sides of the frame at the walkthrough ?

It might be as simple as relocating the bases on the helm .. or if you can adjust them that would be great :) .

YD.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

This is a very common problem we see with W/Ts here all the time and not surprising for an 18 yr old bot of your design. Age is taking it's toll on your boat.

Your W/T is getting hard to close because your decking is starting to sag, probably due to deteriorating below deck structure. When the deck and below deck structure are nice and strong the deck will be nice and flat and the W/T will open and close perfectly, when the deck sags you have problems.

The short term "I'm going to put it off as long as I can" fix is to shim the consoles bases on the inside at the W/T up until the window closes nicely. This is a temporary fix and you'll have to shim the bases up more and more as the deck sags more and more.

This is a sign that all is not well below deck on your boat and you should really investigate matters instead of going for the short term fix.

On a used boat for sale with a W/T this is a sign to run away from the boat unless you're looking for a project to restore.