Anchoring Inflatable

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

I would like to have anchor system at the front end of inflatable which can be easily operated from the back where I sit. Anyone knows clever way to accomplish this, maybe by employing niffy rope work or something?

I fish from boat, and the way I fish, I need to stop and go, droping anchor every 5-10 minutes. Currently I have anchor on the back end, which works fine when the wind / current are pushing my boat from the back, but when I am going against it is not very convenient as the boat does 180 every time I put the anchor down.

Thanks.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anchoring Inflatable

There is a you tube video of a sevylor fh360 that has one you should check out. His is fairly complicated but i remember thinking how easy i thought it would be to simplify it a bit....but i don't have the link you'll have to just sift through them. Those guys have some really good ideas!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Don't know about a Sevylor, but larger ribs uses at bow a glued rope support with a roller in which rope rolls nicely into sea. You could have your rope sitting inside a bucket or on deck and release the needed amount of rope for anchoring. It's a good idea to sharpen all angles and rounding front anchor points just in case to avoid tube abrassion, cuts, punching holes on tubes, etc

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the idea guys.

Don't know about a Sevylor, but larger ribs uses at bow a glued rope support with a roller in which rope rolls nicely into sea. You could have your rope sitting inside a bucket or on deck and release the needed amount of rope for anchoring. It's a good idea to sharpen all angles and rounding front anchor ponts just in case to avoid tube abrassion, cuts, punching holes on tubes, etc

Happy Boating

Sea Rider, I like that idea. It sounds simple. something like this?

Blocks & Pulleys | MSCDirect.com

Loop_Dad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is probably more than you want to spend on your setup, but this is a great setup. You can probably use the diagram here to build your own. >>> NRS Raft Stern Frame Anchor System at nrs.com

Thanks, Drowned Rat. You're right that one is too pricy, but this gave me something to think about. Basically I can glue a couple of pulleys to accomplish the same thing. I'm also looking into using several of something like this to glue on my boat.

SKENE CHOCK NYLN 4-1/2IN 1PR/C - Seadog Line 673601 - iboats

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

LD,

Something like this, but probably inefficient glued on thin boat fabrics as needs tube rigidity to work immovable as expected. The link you posted is for screwing on wooden, fiberglass boats, probaby could be attached to bow by some means too ?

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Anchor base.JPG
    Anchor base.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

astanton81

Seaman

So does anyone have any suggestions on something that is similar to a cleat, that can be used on an inflatable?

When I was out last weekend I definitely noticed I drifted fairly quickly from my original spot, it would be great to have my anchor down so that I can stay still and fan out.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Are you inquiring about gluing a cleat on a Sevylor or Zodiac type inflatable ? Zodiac type comes already with a glued bow D'ring.

Happy Boating

lemondrop9344

Seaman

If you have not already come up with an idea, take a look at Scotty products. They make an anchor holder and a rubber mount which is glued on. With a little thought you could probably arrange to have the anchor at the bow and mount the holder at the stern. I have the whole setup mounted on the bow of my 12' Achilles and it holds just fine in any wind I want to go out and fish on.

RVman

Cadet

I purchased a 100 feet of good quality 3/8 inch anchor rope, 6 feet of chain and an 8 lb rubber coated mushroom anchor that fit inside a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a handle.

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Loop. One quick and easy solution for dropping and retrieving your front anchor while you are sitting at the back of the boat is as follows. Buy some anchor rope and a no-edge anchor (like the mushroom kind) and place that in the front of your boat tied to something. Take the anchor it self and hang it over the edge with a fishing line also tied to it. The anchor rope is just so in case your rod line breaks. So this will be your anchor fishing pole. From sitting at the back of the boat, give your anchor line some slack and it will drop. Reel it in when you are ready to move. You can sit the rod in a fishing rod holder or create one yourself. Good luck.