Help with Float Valve and Slow Speed Needle

terrysandlin

Seaman
I have a 1983 25 HP JTECTE motor concerns about the float valve and slow speed needle. After cleaning and rebuilding I noticed that the new float valve and new valve seat made a slight clicking noise when lifting the float up. Upon observation, float valve looked like it was sticking and popping up when the float was lifted. This was very slight and quick. I replaced the new float valve with the old one which looked perfect. Continuing to use the new valve seat, the clicking and popping up went away. Should I use the old float valve or should there be this clicking-popping up condition?

The slow speed needle looks OK but under a magnifying glass there appear to be some very slight longitudinal very tiny spot scratch-like marks that I can?t feel with a finger nail. I blackened the tip of the needle, inserted it and screwed it down. When removed it, there was an extremely tiny horizontal mark around the needle with the exception of about 1/3 of the needle that didn?t show the mark. I did not screw it very tight. Should I be concerned about this? The taper of the needle does not seem to be perfect, as if it was very slightly bent. This can only be noticed when using a machinist?s straight edge. Replacement low speed needles seem to be impossible to find.

What is your advice? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Carburetor Float Valve best pic P1010122.jpg
    Carburetor Float Valve best pic P1010122.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 0
  • Carburetor Low Speed Needle My P1010114.jpg
    Carburetor Low Speed Needle My P1010114.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help with Float Valve and Slow Speed Needle

I don't think I have ever had a needle/seat click when it was moved up and down, use it the way you have it now, not making noise.
I would static set the low speed needle and fine tune it with the engine in the water.

terrysandlin

Seaman

Thank you for your response. I didn't think the click should occur, so i will leave it as you suggest. I will go ahead and use the slow speed needle

This is such a great forum!

Terry Sandlin

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Let us know how it turns out.