Perko battery switch

Waltzing jaws

Recruit
I have a 1989 four winns 215 sundowner with 5.8l omc and dual batteries. When I had the perko switch on both batteries and blower on I blew the main fuse when I trimmed the outdrive. Now the boat starts and runs great on battery 1 but if I put it on battery 2 it blows my main fuse as soon as try to start it. It also starts with both batteries but blows main fuse with blower and trim working at same time. This is something that just happened. Any suggestions.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Perko battery switch

Sounds like you have it wired incorrectly. How are the cables from the two batteries connected. Are the negative terminals for the two batteries connected to the engine block?

Waltzing jaws

Recruit

Here is what I got. The positive from battery 1 and 2 to the switch. The negative from battery 1 to 2 and 2 grounded to engine. This is how it was wired when I got the boat.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Now all we need is a picture because if its actually wired that way, you wouldn't have a problem.

Next time, switch to battery 2 and measure the voltage between your positive lug on your starter and the engine block and report what you see.

Waltzing jaws

Recruit

Okay I was wrong. Both batteries are grounded to the engine with battery 2 having two grounds. When I put on battery 2 I get nothing on starter and outdrive trim does not work. Battery 1 everything works. However blower doesn't work at all.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

personally, I'd rip all that out, use one new good battery wired up with good cables, and carry a good quality jump box on board for emergencies.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bat 1 positive to switch '1', bat 2 positive to switch '2', accessory positive to switch 'C(ommon)', motor positive to 'C(ommon), motor negative to bat 1 (or 2, doesn't really matter), battery 1 negative to bat 2 negative, accessory negative to either bat negative. Not discussing wiring of an automatic bilge pump, different animal.

So wired, the engine or bat 1 will supply power when switch '1' is selected, engine or bat 2 will supply power with switch 2 selected, the engine or both batts (in parallel) will supply power with switch 'BOTH' selected. If you're still blowing an engine fuse, the problem is elsewhere ... :facepalm: