1995 40HP Force draws eletrical Current when connecting battery cable

SpotLight

Recruit
I have a 1995 Force 40 hp outboard, it seems to run fine except the idle speed is a little high, about 1200 RPM. I have noticed a current draw from the battery, a slight spark when I connect the engine battery cable. I have also notice that if I leave the motor battery cable connected that the next week or two the battery will be depleted and need to be recharged.

I have heard that regulator diodes can go bad and cause a battery to discharge slowly over time.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Spotlight

Jiggz

Captain
Re: 1995 40HP Force draws eletrical Current when connecting battery cable

Although it may be true regulator diodes can go bad, the likely occurrence of them "shorting" and discharging a battery is almost nil! Instead, they usually break open or stay in an open circuit condition. The slight spark occurring when connecting the battery could be from accessories that stays on or it could be a mis-wiring with the ignition system.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

When you hook up the battery, your also powering the ignition system and the dash and accessories.
Unhook the neg. lead, hook a test light on the n battery and then the n lead.
It will light up. Then start taking fuses out and see if the light goes out.
No fuses? Then unhook the depth finder,radio, etc until the light goes out.
Some depth finders and radios draw current even when OFF!!

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree the accessories draw power mostley the radio. I have the same problem so I installed battery cut off switches and that way my battery stays charged all year.

SpotLight

Recruit

With all accessory wires off the battery and only connecting the two cables from the motor I still get a current draw on the battery even when the key is off. I am going to take it to have it tuned up and will ask a mechanic to check it for me. In the meantime I have installed a battery cutoff switch.
Thanks, I will let everyone know what I find out.