Hull Paint Necessary?

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Question is.....if I trailer my boat and have to wash it every time I go from one lake to another. Do I need to paint the bottom with antifouling paint?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Hull Paint Necessary?

How long do you leave it in the water each time? How much growth do you have to wash off?

agallant80

Commander

From what I understand is the amount of work bottom paint needs to keep it up is not worth it for a boat that lives on a trailer.

rsmitty814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How long do you leave it in the water each time? How much growth do you have to wash off?

Just a days worth of boating. Maybe overnight a couple of times a year. The boat I bought had been painted but it's oxidizing and I'm thinking of stripping it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

no antifouling paint is needed if the boat is trailered each time you use it. You could leave it in the lake for a week, w/o issue. Most lakes do not have much growth anyway.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

good news--you don't have to wash it every time, either, any more than you have to wash your car every time you use it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That is a different question. What are the local laws? Flush the motor? Drain the bilge?

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I leave my boat in saltwater for up to two weeks at least one time in the summer, the rest of the time it's on the trailer or on the river for day trips. After it sits in the nasty bay saltwater for a couple weeks it takes some good cleaning to get the gunk off but it still wouldn't be worth painting.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

What about invasive species?

The laws vary from place to place. Some places require the boat to be cleaned off when it exits a body of water.

Regardless, a trailered boat that's hopping from lake to lake really doesn't need anti-fouling paint. Anti-fouling paint is more or less intended for a boat that's going to spend some time in the ocean.