2006 50 TLDI - Blinking lights at High RPM

CWDarby

Cadet
I think I created my own issue but don't know how to correct it. Read all the blinking light posts but none describe what I am seeing. In replacing the cowling on my TLDI, I inadvertently broke the fuel line causing an immediate fuel leak. Replaced hose without further leak. However, now when running over 5200 RPM, the 3 tach lights blink repeatedly. No indication of power loss, no buzzers, no other indications at all. When I back off of throttle, the lights go out. Speed up, they come on again! Normally, I can run around 5800-5900 RPM at top end and hit limiter at 6000. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 2006 50 TLDI - Blinking lights at High RPM

Is your model MD50B?

CWDarby

Cadet

Yes it is. I'm going to lake today and will try to reset TPS and ECU. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

CWDarby

Cadet

Ok. Now I'm really confused. I went through the reset procedure. However, there is no beeps, buzzer, or any indication as there should be. I mean even when I turn the key on. The lights on the tach come on and go off. And I hear the pump in the motor prime and stop but no beep follows. I tried the reset without the beep several times but when I test for results ... Same!!! Lights flash at 5200 rpm. No flash at 5100 rpm. What the heck is going on?

pvanv

Admiral

If the beeper didn't sound, you probably didn't get a proper reset. The beeper may be inoperative. That could be due to a bad ground or some other wiring fault. Check over the wiring to make sure, but it might be a simple cracked/loose connection causing all your headaches. Is the battery good, and a 1000-amp unit?

CWDarby

Cadet

The connections seems to be good and tight. All electrical devices function normally and battery stays charged. The battery is 800 AMP, not 1000 but this motor has not given this indication ever before with the same battery (now 2 years old). I did notice something different this time out ... at about 3500-4000 rpm the engine seems to slightly lug and then surge (like a plug fouling and then recovering). No miss below or above this RPM range. Could my 3 light indication be from a bad spark plug or plug wire? I'll put new plugs in anyway but is it possible this could fix my high RPM warning issue?

pvanv

Admiral

Anything is possible... but the lack of buzzer/beeper is not good. There is an issue somewhere. What does your dealer have to say?

CWDarby

Cadet

Have not taken it in to dealer. This issue just began when I broke the fuel line. May be coincidental but I had hoped I could fix the issue without the lengthy trailering to dealer. Looks like I may need to take it in. Thx.

CWDarby

Cadet

FIXED!!! Changed spark plugs and no more lights coming on. Runs great and tops out at 5900 RPM. no warning lights. Not sure why this fixed the issue but it did! Still concerned about no warning beep. Will try to find this issue and repair as well.