K - I'm slow and sorry for asking again..

sincraft

Seaman
I am about to repair several holes that I routed out 1/8" to the plywood in several spots to inspect the transom. I also have several dings on the bottom middle and elsewhere that I would like to touch up.<br /><br />For the back transom, which is down to dry plywood.. (some are below water line) - I had in mind to poly, 1.5oz mat, poly x2 - then use bondo and sand to level...then paint.<br /><br />As for the bottom of the boat, many are just 1/8" wide by 1" long..very small dings - glass may be showing (redish color showing) although not sure if it is truly showing.<br />I also have some longer thin repairs in the middle of the boat where the old man before me ran the boat into rocks etc..it looks like he already patched it with some sort of clear epoxy but of course 10 years later has started to give way. Should I sand this down and then do what I plan above or?<br /><br />Also I have a drain tube area that has to be chopped out as the wood around it is semi rotted in a very small area (1" x 1.5") which will need filled where the wood is chopped out. Poly good for filling this, or epoxy, then glass, then poly, then bondo?<br /><br />I'm totally confused as I've been told what to do, and read what to do...but several times see people saying poly won't work on what I currently have or stand up to water and shrinks (bad bad bad)..<br /><br />THere are a couple people that replied to my other posts, but I seem to be walking away with the same...insecurity about the situation as when I started to think about what to buy and how to do it.<br />Please advise what will be the best method... <br /><br />I will also want to paint the rear of the boat to cover htese ugly patches.<br /><br />I konw this sounds like a duplicate post to some that followed my situation, but I just want to be SURE I am thinking of the same things as you guys as it's apparent that one wrong step and all is bad bad bad...so I want to be sure i am ..<br />1. using the right products.<br />2. have the right idea<br />3. will not have any issues (initially conceivable)<br /><br />THanks guys..really!<br /><br />S

sincraft

Seaman
Re: K - I'm slow and sorry for asking again..

Hmmm - possibly the wrong group of people to ask?<br />Does anyone know of any other forums with Extensive Fiberglass discussions?<br />I'd love to start working this weekend on this little project. <br /><br />The area around my draintube that was rotted was bigger than I thought. More like 5 inches around and the whole way through. I MIGHT use wood but would like to use epoxy instead if it is going to be stronger - suggestions please?<br /><br />S

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Interesting question and I dont have any answers but you mighttry, and maybe you already have, www.classicmako.com -- those guys seem to know a lot. Check out the project forum. I'm sure there are lots of knowledgeable folks here too. Maybe they're just busy. I hate it when work interferes with iboats!

sincraft

Seaman

I hate it when work interferes with anything!<br />I often find myself JUST starting to read the forums for a few seconds, when someone is walking toward my office. Luckily I have glass on my door, and when it is open..I can see them coming. Unfortunatley, the computer is facing 90 degrees away from it so peripherial vision has to be a maximum that day. <br />I orded a new desk so I could turn it :) Not that I browse or have time to browse all day at work...im usually very busy but occasionally, after taking care of about 20 issues...I like to check in on things hehe.<br /><br />Thanks for the link, I will look around. Whenever you type in Fiberglass, Wood repair in google..you get garbage. <br />Lots of nice folks here have replied to several of my questions and helped out alot, but I JUST need that last step of knowledge to take me to actual implementation of the repairs. I would hate to do something wrong and have to do it again or weaken the boat..<br /><br />S