81 Evinrude 25 HP - Water Passage Deflector

cchildr84

Petty Officer 1st Class
When looking up the parts for the water passage deflectors on my 81 25 HP Evinrude, it calls for (3) water passage deflectors part # 0335603, which go on the bottom. However, on my motor with the head off there are only two on the bottom, see pictures below. I only see where two are to go and not place for the third. Can someone please advise if the third one is needed and where on the bottom part of the cylinder case it goes. FYI the first picture are the ones on the bottom part # 0335603 and the second picture is the top one; 0335602.

Bottom.JPG Top.JPG

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 81 Evinrude 25 HP - Water Passage Deflector

I can only say mine looks like yours. :confused:

cchildr84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm, well atleast mine isn't the only one. I'm new to this outboard motor stuff, but I see that the top of your piston has the same type of knick in it as mine, is this caused by the ignition spark from the fuel and spark plug? Would I be wrong to assume this is normal to some degree?

jasper60103

Commander

No, not normal. My knick was an accident caused by using the wrong adapter on a compression tester. :embarassed:

Last edited:

cchildr84

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, not normal. My knick was an accident caused by using the wrong adapter on a compression tester. :embarassed:

Oh, I wonder if mine were caused the same way, as my "knick(s)" is almost identical to yours. I used a compression tester from O'rielly's and didn't use any of the adapters, just the fixed fitting that is on the end of the hose. Well I say that, the very first test I did I used the long adapter, but wasn't get a good reading so then I did it again with the one that's on the end of the hose. Does this knick pose any harm, will it cause the motor to run out of the norm?

Last edited:

jasper60103

Commander

Oh, I wonder if mine were caused the same way, as my "knick(s)" is almost identical to yours. I used a compression tester from O'rielly's and didn't use any of the adapters, just the fixed fitting that is on the end of the hose. Well I say that, the very first test I did I used the long adapter, but wasn't get a good reading so then I did it again with the one that's on the end of the hose. Does this knick pose any harm, will it cause the motor to run out of the norm?

Not from my experience. I've had the motor for a few years and it runs fine.

Btw, why do you have the head off?
edit: never mind, I read your other thread.

Last edited:

cchildr84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I wanted to look at the cylinder walls, because when I did the compression test(s), I wasn't getting good numbers. My motor is an electric/manual start. When I test via electric my numbers were 90 top and 83 bottom. When I tested via pull start my numbers were around 60 top and bottom I think. But looking at the walls they seem to be good. I don't see any visible scoring. I have a new head gasket im gonna put on it and see if that brings the numbers back up. Also, I bought the motor used about 3 months ago, and I am in the process of going through it checking everything.