first motor, 72 9.5, running rough

iblandford

Recruit
Please bear with me, this is my first boat motor, and need some advise on what needs to be done to get it to run right. I believe I have a 1972 evinrude sportwin 9.5. The model number is 9222m and the serial number is 016347. Its running rough right now, and Im sure it could use a tune up. Ive only ran it in a drum so far, but this is what i've noticed. It will start up in neutral, while giving it a little bit of gas. It idles rough and smokes. There is not much water coming out when in idle, but when in forward, it will let out a little more, not a steady stream, but there is a little. The water temp coming out is pretty hot, so I didn't want to run it too long. Not sure how hot it is suppose to be, but figured too hot isn't good. I've looked at the plugs, didn't look terrible, but a little dirty. I figured I should go get fresh gas, and plugs for it tomorrow and try again. What plugs do I need to get? 50:1 gas mixture? any other help would be appreciated. Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: first motor, 72 9.5, running rough

There should be a pretty healthy spray of water being discharged.

Now for the rest of the question. You will never get that motor to run well in a drum. Get it out of that drum, put it on a boat, on the lake, and check back with us if you still have running problems. Those motors have several reasons for rough running.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats! You need to check or change the water pump, possibly just the impeller in the pump first thing. Check out this site: OMC outboard related articles

No disrespect meant, F_R, but my '73 9.5 runs fine in a drum. But maybe it's just mine. You have tons more experience than I.

iblandford

Recruit

well, I took the motor out fishing this weekend. I put it on a 14ft flatbottom. I ran it around the lake a few times to see how it runs. It seemed to run pretty well. Still doesn't have much water coming out of it, and the little that does, seemed pretty hot. I moved around the lake a few times while fishing and it started up on the first pull every time. Then, about the fourth move, it wouldn't start anymore. I tried it over and over and it just wouldn't fire up. I pulled the plugs and neither of them were dry, both of them seemed to have a little oil/fuel on them. I have already ordered a new thermostat and impeller, hoping this will fix the water issue, just waiting for them to come in. Havn't tried to start it back up since. Not sure why it died, or what else I may need to look at.