Mercruiser 3.7 Cam Seal Replacement Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was browsing for some parts on ebay and came across this Ad. Best I can tell, they are selling plans for an alternative to the impeller off the cam. Anyone seen or researched this before? Wondering if such an option is actually viable.

Mercruiser 470 485 488 Any 3 7 Liter Motor Cam Seal Repair | eBay

Here's the content of the ad:
"Offered for sale is my complete manual on how to modify your 3.7 mercruiser motor so you will never have to worry about the cam seals leaking /ruining your motor. It is a step by step easy to follow ,with pictures and drawing manual that even the most unexperienced mechanic could complete this proceedure and make the 3.7 mercruiser cam seal leak free forever. AND as a bonus have a better cooling flow capacity when used with the suggested new water pump in my manual. We used this information to convert my boats motor and have taken it out on the water :) The hottest we got it up to at 4300rpm was 180 deg f. wot for 5minutes. So we know it works just great. !!!!!!!! Thanks for reading this".

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 3.7 Cam Seal Replacement Alternative

NO expert hear, but a test of 5 minutes would not win me over. An unexperienced mechanic could complete and make it leak free forever (Didn't see anything about a guarantee

Old Yeller Boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the limited information, the process appears to involve cutting off the cam shaft to eliminate the impeller to circulate water. then I guess the seal opening would be blocked off somehow. The next step in the process (I'm assuming) is to retrofit some type of circulation pump to pass antifreeze from the hose into the opening back into the block. I'm not intending to attempt this myself, but was curious if anyone has heard of such a modification to a 3.7.

sraab928

Recruit

I found this post on another site when I was researching his ebay kit.... The info matches the ebay seller - 12V electric water pump?

Old 08-02-2013, 06:32 PM #1
jdroe429
FNG

Default mercruiser 3.7 cam seal permenant fix
I guess there's a group of people out there that build up the 224 cu. in. 4 banger so I'm asking anybody if they got a better way of getting rid of the stock cam seal leaking problem? We've used a small block chevy electric 12volt water pump bought off ebay for 96.00 dollars and just blocked the cam seal area with a plate TIG welded inplace with the end of the cam ground off. Any takers?

roffey

Commander

NO expert hear, but a test of 5 minutes would not win me over. An unexperienced mechanic could complete and make it leak free forever (Didn't see anything about a guarantee

see, an inexperienced mechanic would have a problem but to the unexperienced mechanic it would be a snap...

sraab928

Recruit

In my rebuild I'm just going to stick with sleeving the camshaft and putting a seal back in. I was hoping this guy was onto something.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

the speedy sleeve is the best fix to date.

searobin76

Recruit
i fixed my 3.7 by replacing the seal with a national seal. part # 471570. as apposed to the mercury seal. it is thicker and will straddle the grooves in the cam shaft. also install the seal slightly further in or out of timing chain cover so the seals don't fall into groove and rides on smooth part of cam.. worked for me 5 years now. good luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.