9.8 model 110 thunderbolt points replacement

boating lang

Recruit
Hello all, I have recently picked up a 9.8 with the thunderbolt ignition system and was wondering if anybody sells the points? I am not 100% sure on the year, I was told it is a 1971, the serial number is 2937906 and it is the kief....... something. My problem is that is has been sitting in a garage for 15 or some years and all the wiring is compldtely shot. Or at least the wire insulation is, it is all dry rotted and crumbling. Iwas thinking of starting with the ignition system to see if I can get spark before i get to involved. I have not had any luck online finding points, will try the local boat places this week. Just figured I would try here first, thanks in advance.

Lang

carholme

Rear Admiral

deftones

Cadet
Re: 9.8 model 110 thunderbolt points replacement

Im in the same boat as you with my 1968 9.8. Dry rot. Its mainly on the killswitch wires going from the block to points i believe? I hope i can replace just the wire. Going to pull flywheel soon and see exactly whats all rotted
But check out oldmercs.com. I can get points,condensors and coils for my year so im sure you will aswell.

maxum247

Lieutenant

I just finished rewiring my 1972 Model 110 9.8 h.p. Mercury outboard (Thunderbolt Ignition) recently. I think it was under $8 in wire if I remember correctly, plus a few dollars for the new terminals for the wires. I used fine strand wire that I found at my local marine store to replace the old fine strand wire from the factory.
I couldn't get all the correct wire colors so I had to use different color wires in some instances instead of all the original wiring colors. I removed what was left of each wire one at a time to avoid mixing up which wire went where. I still can't make out where the ground wire from the cowl attaches at the motor, stop button wire was no problem, maybe you can help me with that one?
This type of points fire while closed so they can look sort of rough and still be alright from what I've learned. Hope this will help!

max!

deftones

Cadet

Awesome! Im going to find some of the wire you are talking about, glad to here its possible. Were you stator wires ok though? I was under impression those cant be replaced.You were able to completely replace all the wires and terminals, didnt have to connect any wires to old pieces?
I know our motors are fairly similar so my ground wire runs from stop button, then goes up to the exhaust plate where all the wires connect. and then into somewhere under the flywheel. So grounds into exhaust plate then into block.

Im unsure if this helps you but its the only ground wire I know of that comes from cowl?

Thanks for your info.

Mike.

maxum247

Lieutenant

As far as i can remember the wires under the flywheel were replaceable, they are held on with nuts but the wires going to the points were soldered in place. Not a bad job to replace if you can solder wire. You will probably have to replace the two nylon blocks that the wires and points connect to as they crack overtime.

Max!

boating lang

Recruit

Thanks for all the input guys, a great deal of help! I am going to do what yall have said on the point wires coming out of the plastic insulator, just solder a new piece of wire to the old ones and do the same to stator wires. Everything else is just a matter of putting some new wire and new clips on because they just simply bolt on. On my motor for the kill switch ground, it grounds to the bottom of the engine just to the right of the kill switch and then runs along side of the hot kill switch wire and turns off to attach to the under side of the stator if I am not mistaken. There is 2 ground wires that attach underneath the stator, one goes to the kill switch and the other goes to points assemply housing (not sure if that is the correct term). At least that is how I remeber it looking before I took it all apart. Hope that is of use.

Lang

maxum247

Lieutenant

Good luck with rewiring your motor and thanks for the information you've given me, as soon as I get the stop button wired on my motor and the fuel pump rebuilt, I should be ready to see how my motor will run.

max!