'86 Evinrude 40 hp won't idle in gear (spitting carb)

digger658

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The wife and I love trolling at idle speed but for some reason the motor doesn't. Runs great top end and idles rough on muffs.

While on muffs I pulled the top plug wire and it kept running on one cylinder and the same when I pulled the bottom wire off, kept running on one cylinder. I have screwed in the idle adjustment screw to only 4 threads showing. When idling on the lake it jerks and coughs and then all of a sudden jerks and quits.

Tonight while checking it on muffs I noticed fuel spitting out of the orifice on the top carb. Orifice on the bottom carb was not spitting fuel. Is this a sign of back pressure from the motor and a reason it won't idle in water?

Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: '86 Evinrude 40 hp won't idle in gear (spitting carb)

Doesn't your carb have idle orifices? What screw are you refering to? Can you post your model number?

digger658

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, it does have idle orifices. The idle screw on the starboard side of the motor, it's about 2" long. Model no. E40ELCDE

digger658

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The larger brass tube in the throat of the carb has a crack in it about 3/8" running from the top down......would that affect the way it runs?

digger658

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Took carbs off and went thru both again. No blockage that I can find. Started motor and the top carb is still lighty spitting fuel out the low speed orifice every time it misses/coughs. I checked the reeves valves and they look fine and appear to seal. I feel like I'm back to square one. Still wonder if idle screw is in to far.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Check your idle timing if you can

digger658

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bosunsmate would you happen to know the procedure for idle timing?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

No sorry but you can work out what the timing is relative to TDC for the bottom cylinder and see if that is matched by the top cylinders timing.