1975 Ranger 150 Restoration

Timms

Cadet
I just bought this rig over the weekend. I paid $650 for it. The Ranger boat is 15' long and the paperwork says it's a 1975 model. The only information I can find on the Web shows it to be a Model 150. It has a 1975 Mercury 850 with tilt/trim and it starts and runs good. The trailer is a Holtsclaw and needs some work. The boat appears to be in good condition except for holes on the bow that need filling. The floor is sturdy with just a little soft spot near the center. The carpet had been removed and the wiring is a mess. It has a new bilge pump, new electric inline fuel pump, new tach and a new battery. The 36lb Power Drive Minn Kota works too. My question is what is the best way to fill in the unused bolt holes in the bow. I thinking the clay type marine epoxy will work. Also, what is the cheapest product to use to restore the dull blue finish to a glossy look.

Attachments

• DSCN2024.jpg
    DSCN2024.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2025.jpg
    DSCN2025.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2026.jpg
    DSCN2026.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2027.jpg
    DSCN2027.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2028.jpg
    DSCN2028.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Timms

Cadet
Re: 1975 Ranger 150 Restoration

A couple of more pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN2029.jpg
    DSCN2029.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2030.jpg
    DSCN2030.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Welcome aboard Timms, looks like you have a little project on your hands. With some ambition and a little help from the forum I bet you could make her look new again!

There's novels worth of info her to read that will answer all your questions. First thing I would do is a safety check since the old Ranger is 38 years old. Transom for integrity, stringers and decking. You mentioned there's a soft spot so I'm assuming you'll be tearing into the deck to find out why.

Great score on the Ranger and a worthy choice to make her like new (1975) again if that's your aim.

crovowen

Seaman Apprentice

looks like a great deal with that motor- hull looks very familiar (same as my kingfisher, probably the same mold)
P6290025_zpsb36b48a4.jpg- just check it out very carefully- this is what i found under that same aluminum plate repair-
P6300003_zps3fe68c97.jpg i am now in the process of a complete transom stringer job- hope the condition of yours is better- tagging along- Crow

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

to restore oxidized gelcoat, I've been advised by a local boat repair place to wet sand with 1200 grit sandpaper and then buff with a rubbing compound. Gelcoat is usually 20 mil thick or so according to them. You're only going to take off a little of that.

Timms

Cadet

Thanks for the input guys. I've checked the boat out as best I can and it appears solid enough for me. The transom is solid with the aluminum plate that's on it. There is no noticeable movement when I rock the motor front to rear. As for the floor, The only soft spot is down the center between the stringers above the bilge channel. The golf ball hole size hole in the floor where the console makes it's bend has allowed some water to get into the foam. After removing the 2 bilge vent covers, I can tell that the 1/2" plywood beneath the fiberglass coated deck is pretty soft. These boats were not built to take apart without a great deal of butchering around all the storage boxes and live well so I'm not going to do much to the floor except patch the hole and put down some new carpet. I will probable put down a thin piece of metal over top of the bilge channel just to eliminate the chance of it busting thru later. I'm a retired Electronics Tech so the rewiring is not an issue for me. When I get it wired and cleaned up a little I'm going to put it up for sale. I will probably wait until Spring to sell it because used boats are a hot item around here then. I live next to Lake Tanecomo between Table Rock and Bull Shoals Lakes in SW Missouri.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a cool boat and with some tlc and buffing will look great. As for that motor plate I adree I think you should really look it over good I have seen it befor and have used one my self just to distribute the the force on a older boat.