Replacement Bayliner switch panel?

MalcolmV8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have so much trouble turning on my blower motor to exhaust the engine compartment on my boat. You flick the switch on and off and jimmy it around and eventually the fan comes on. It's so unreliable every time I flick the switch on I have to jump up and go back and feel if air is coming out the vent (unless it's quiet enough to hear it) as you can't just assume it came on. It's a 50/50 chance it came on.

I pulled the wires off of the switch panel up front and sanded the contacts clean and crimped the wire connector ends down with pliers making them a very tight fit onto the back of the switch. That eliminated the need to jiggle the wires but the switch itself now seems faulty. Fiddling with the switch will get the motor to turn on.

Do they sell replacement switch panels somewhere? I tried googling but found such a mess of results. It's a 91 Bayliner Capri 2050. I can get a pic snapped of the switch panel if need be.

Thanks guys
Malcolm

MalcolmV8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Replacement Bayliner switch panel?

Whoops, so used to posting questions on my engine I forgot to switch sub forums.

alldodge

Staff member

Probably going to need a pic to find something that will match. It will prbably be easier to find the switches then a pannel that will work but I'll try either way.

MalcolmV8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Humm not the best pic but I cropped it from another random pic. Switches on the left, one right above the key.

boat-switches.jpg

alldodge

Staff member

I'll keep looking around but the indention in the rocker switch will be harder to find
Illuminating Contura Switch Rocker SP On/Off, 4-Terminal - SeaDog Line 420211-1 - iboats
This one above is illumanated when on and could be nice to know when the blower is on. The non-illumanated one is a couple bucks cheaper.

Before you invest, I would remove a switch and see if it snaps in the same way this appears to. I look at Cabela's, iBoats, west marine and if your up to replacing all switchs you can find a 6 gang panel and for less then buying 1 at a time. This switch is a single pole single throw on/off. If you went for others like Nav and bildge you would need other types.

MalcolmV8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ahh thanks man. Not sure why I never noticed they were individual switches you can just pop out before. Here's what mine looks like up close.

photo%25204.JPG

photo%25203.JPG

photo.JPG

Obviously it would have been most ideal to find one that looks identical but right now I'll settle for mostly the same but actually works :)
I did some more testing on the switch once I had it out and it is indeed bad. You can wiggle the terminals on it and the connectivity through the switch becomes sporadic and non functional at times. That link you posted looks like a good fit replacement. I'll give it a shot. If nothing else I may end up replacing all the switches at some point so they all match.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Its just a Contura style switch

MalcolmV8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great links there guys. I got a switch ordered which should hopefully be here in a couple days. So the magic word I was needing to google is "Contura". Good to know.

MalcolmV8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well turns out these switches come in different sizes. Didn't realize that. New switch arrived yesterday and is huge by comparison.

photo.JPG

So I started wondering just what exactly does the "Accessory" switch on the right side do. I've never found anything activated by that switch so I pulled the panel out on that side and sure enough no wires connected to it. Nice unused switch. So I swapped it with the blower switch and now I have a functional blower again that works reliably.

alldodge

Staff member

It sure is nice finding extra fee parts :thumb:
Wonder if that's how I keep finding extra parts left over after I put something back to gether :D

MalcolmV8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lol yeah. I'll get this big one sent back. Of course I get out on the water yesterday and try and start the boat and click click click. Oh wow that's no good. Eventually it cranked and went. Then later on the water click and then it cranked. Sounds like the starter relay is going out. I yanked it off asap when we got home last night and will be running up to the local marine shop in a few and see if I can get a new one. That's one of those parts that'll leave you floating helplessly on the water. Although I bet I could have jumped it with a wrench and got back to land. Not chancing it though.

alldodge

Staff member

lol yeah. I'll get this big one sent back. Of course I get out on the water yesterday and try and start the boat and click click click. Oh wow that's no good. Eventually it cranked and went. Then later on the water click and then it cranked. Sounds like the starter relay is going out. I yanked it off asap when we got home last night and will be running up to the local marine shop in a few and see if I can get a new one. That's one of those parts that'll leave you floating helplessly on the water. Although I bet I could have jumped it with a wrench and got back to land. Not chancing it though.

Don't forget it could also might be the starter slave relay. Had a intermittent issue with it a long time ago and it almost seams like the starter when it's not.

MalcolmV8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't forget it could also might be the starter slave relay. Had a intermittent issue with it a long time ago and it almost seams like the starter when it's not.

Slave relay? oh no where is that at? I found a unit on the front starboard side of the motor which I assumed is a remote starter relay. It had two heavy current wires and two small ones. It sits right next to the circuit reset breaker. You say there's an additional slave relay somewhere?

alldodge

Staff member

Slave relay? oh no where is that at? I found a unit on the front starboard side of the motor which I assumed is a remote starter relay. It had two heavy current wires and two small ones. It sits right next to the circuit reset breaker. You say there's an additional slave relay somewhere?

No you got it, I've heard both terms used, remote start, slave relay all the same

MalcolmV8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK awesome. I'll try replacing it first and see how things go.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Slave relays are way less likely to go out than the starter. If you really want to see if its the slave, just hook up a jumper between at the output of the slave and touch that against your positive battery post to see how the starter works.

MalcolmV8

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Slave relays are way less likely to go out than the starter. If you really want to see if its the slave, just hook up a jumper between at the output of the slave and touch that against your positive battery post to see how the starter works.

The problem is intermittent so very hard to pin point the culprit just yet. From working on cars it's pretty common for the starter relays to fail so could very well be the issue. The slave/starter relay is easy to access and swap out and only $20 so I picked one up today at a local marine shop. If the issue returns at least I'll know that's not it and dig deeper.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You probably just wasted $20. Now you have a spare. Better to diagnose a problem vs shotgunning it.

First thing I would do is take off all your connections, clean them until they are shiny metal and then reinstall. This includes connections between negative battery terminal and the block as well. I just helped a guy out in another thread that had a similar problem to yours and it was the block connection.

Last edited: