1982 15' Ebbtide Deck/Stringer Replacement

hawk200282

Seaman
I just recently picked up this boat for a great price. From what I could tell, the deck and transom were solid and looked like a really well cared for boat.

I was out one day and noticed the floor flexing quite a bit in the back when I would go over a wave. I knew right away something was not right. So when I got back home, I pulled up the carpet. Someone had put a metal plate over the deck. (Hence why it felt solid)

Needless to say, after some exploratory cutting, I found that the deck and stringers are mulch.... The only bright side is that the transom is solid. (Drilled some core samples)

At this point, I have the entire deck pulled up and currently chipping out foam. Fun, Fun.

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge and I have a good idea what my game plan will be. Still had a few questions though.

The hull has a little bit of flex in it, more so than I like. I was going to line the hull on the inside with one layer of 1708 Biaxial to sure things up a bit.

Is 1708 Biaxial Cloth too heavy for a boat this size?

Should I lay down the 1708 Biaxial Cloth, then do the stringers on top of that? Or should I tab the stringers in, then run the 1708 Biaxial Cloth over the stringers?

Its my first time working with fiberglass so I'm sure I will have more questions as I go along.

Pictures to come.

Thanks

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 15' Ebbtide Deck/Stringer Replacement

Welcome to iBoats!
Once the Stringers have been replaced and the pour in foam has been re-installed, your hull will once again be rock solid. You can put down a layer of 1708 if you want, but IMHO it is not required or needed. Make sure the hull is stabilized during the restoration and take plenty of measurements before you rip it all apart so you can ensure it all goes back exactly as it was before. Don't want it to get out of alignment.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

hawk200282

Seaman

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Right now the boat is on the trailer, but I put some supports in so the hull doesn't flex when I'm inside working.

I'f I do decide to put a layer of new glass down (call me paranoid), should I go over the new stringers with that layer? Or do it before I put the new ones down.

Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Once you have the Old stringers out and the hull ground down nice and flat, that would be the time to put the layer of 1708 down. Then install the stringers. The first link in my signature below has some drawings and info on how to install the stringers.

hawk200282

Seaman

Thanks alot for that link, it answered alot of my questions.

The Boat, quite nice from the outside:
IMG_0397.JPG

Until you get inside:
IMG_0398.JPG

From what I can tell, the floor has been replaced in the past. It was a pretty shoddy job from the rough fiber glass I'm seeing. Have a sneaking suspicion that's why all I have now is mulch. :)

Last edited:

hawk200282

Seaman

You see in the pictures where the keel in on the inside.

Should that void be filled with foam also? I know logic says it should remain part of the bilge, but I have no clue how it originally was. (Being the floor was rigged before by one of the previous owners.)

Antihero27

Cadet

You say you think the floor was rigged before. I wouldn't be so sure. I own a 87 ebbtide and I think Ebbtide just did horrid work. I am no fiberglass expert but I had places on my stringers that weren't even covered with fiberglass. I curious...my hull was partial cored and is that a small hump beside your stringer. Looks like on the outside of your stringer is 4inch strip running stern to bow beside the stringer. If it is....wonder if its rotten.

hawk200282

Seaman

You say you think the floor was rigged before. I wouldn't be so sure. I own a 87 ebbtide and I think Ebbtide just did horrid work. I am no fiberglass expert but I had places on my stringers that weren't even covered with fiberglass. I curious...my hull was partial cored and is that a small hump beside your stringer. Looks like on the outside of your stringer is 4inch strip running stern to bow beside the stringer. If it is....wonder if its rotten.

To the left of the stringer is a really rough patch that needs ground down. I think it has been done before, the glass is different than the rest of the hull which is smooth. What also makes me think its been redone is there was glass over parts of the foam. There is no strip, only the two stringers.

Ill get some better pictures tomorrow.

hawk200282

Seaman

I'm about to place my order with US Composites.

From the dash to the stern I plan on:
-Laying out a single layer of 1708 Biaxial to make things more solid (Mostly to make me feel better.)
-Replacing the stringers and tabbing them in with 2 layers of 1708 Biaxial.
-Coating the new decking (bottom & top) in Resin, then laying that down.
-On top of the deck, tabbing the deck to the sides with DBM 1708 Biaxial TAPE and then coating the top with 2 layers of 3/4oz Chopped Strand Mat.

With that description of what my plans are, I was hoping someone could help me estimate quantities.

My plans are to get 10 Gallons of Resin, 25 Yards of DBM 1708 Biaxial Glass, and 25 Yards of DBM 1708 Biaxial Tape for tabbing the deck.

I know you guys don't have much to go on besides pictures, but do you think this will be enough? Or too much?

Thanks

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

15yds of 50" 1708 biax
15 yds of 50" 1.5 oz CSM (Bottom side of deck wood needs 1 layer of CSM and top needs 2 layers.
You can use the tape or cut your own from the 1708 Fabric.
You'll need 4 gals of Cabosil and 1 lb of 1/4" chopped strand to make PB.
10 gals will get you started but I'd bet you'll use 15 before you're done. It goes faster than you can imagine. 1 gal per 4 yds of biax or CSM and that's if you know what you're doing and have minimal waste.

hawk200282

Seaman

Thanks for all the help.

Will post more pics as it moves along. I'm hoping to get it done before the end of august.

hawk200282

Seaman

Well I've hit my first snag.

Everything was going well until it was time to cut the stringers.

The old stringers were mush so I did not have a template to go by. I decided to use the string method running front to back and then measuring from the hull up every 6 inches.

I cut the stringer, it almost fit perfectly. I placed a straight board across the top from side to side to simulate the deck. The height was good in the front and back of the boat, but in the center it had an inch gap where the deck should rest on the sides. Its almost as if the top of the stringer should be curved also, but that makes no sense. I've tried just about everything and ruined two boards already. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Last edited:

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I've hit my first snag.

Everything was going well until it was time to cut the stringer.

The old stringers were mush so I did not have a template to go by. I decided to use the string method running front to back and then measuring from the hull up every 6 inches.

I cut the stringer, it almost fit perfectly. I placed a straight board across the top from side to side to simulate the deck. The height was good in the front and back of the boat, but in the center it had an inch gap where the deck should rest on the sides. Its almost as if the top of the stringer should be curved also, but that makes no sense. I've tried just about everything and ruined two boards already. Anyone have any suggestions?

OK if I understand correctly, you still have one of the old stringers still in the boat as a reference for the new one? or are they both cut out?

Last edited:

hawk200282

Seaman

Been doing a lot of thinking/studying on this subject lately and came up with this..
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/stringer-jig-623805.html

Not sure why the string method did not work. Did you measure down from the strings approx. every 6 to 12" from front to back and then transfer those measurements to your stringer blank?

Yes I did. Then I connected each point and used a jig saw.

hawk200282

Seaman

OK if I understand correctly, you still have one of the old stringers still in the boat as a reference for the new one? or are they both cut out?

No both stringers were mush and were removed.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The only thing I can suggest is to cut the bottom curvature to shape and leave the top edge 2" higher than needed. Place the blank in the boat and then establish the deck line on the oversized stringer once it's in-place in the boat.

hawk200282

Seaman

The only thing I can suggest is to cut the bottom curvature to shape and leave the top edge 2" higher than needed. Place the blank in the boat and then establish the deck line on the oversized stringer once it's in-place in the boat.

Yeah it looks like that is what Ill have to do. Leave it to me to get the weird boat. :joyous:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It seems a bit strange that a string line run across the beam of the boat at the deck level and then measurements taken from that @ 6" intervals dropped down to the bottom of the hull would not come out to match any bows or humps in the design. I'm very perplexed by this. Can/Would you be able to post some pics of the stringer you cut placed in the boat so we could see what it looks like?

hawk200282

Seaman

Yeah I'm completely confused also. It makes no sense why the center 2 feet or so would be higher than the front or back while resting on the hull.

I will get pics up as soon as I can, Ill have to re cut the stringer again because I pretty much destroyed my other one trying to get it to fit.

Think I will use my previous measurements and just plane down the center maybe.