Mercruiser Alpha One 175hp won't start

Levithetileguy

Recruit
My boat won't start. When I turn the ignition the part pictured below (I'm not sure exactly what it is some sort of circuit breaker, and maybe a mini cillinoid of some sort) just clicks. My batteries are at 100%. I have tried jumping the starter, and jumping the part in the pic. When I jump the part in the pic I can hear the starter click, but never tries to turn over. I have tested and cleaned all connections on part in pic and on starter. Any ideas? And can you also tell me what is in the picture, and what it does. Sorry if I am not to bright when it comes to wrenching on boats. Thanks for any help.IMG_20130805_130234_508.jpg

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruiser Alpha One 175hp won't start

Push the red button in and see if that fixes it. It looks like the main circuit breaker is tripped.

The part on the right hand side is your starter solenoid and the click sound means its working.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

My boat won't start. When I turn the ignition the part pictured below (I'm not sure exactly what it is some sort of circuit breaker, and maybe a mini cillinoid of some sort) just clicks. My batteries are at 100%. I have tried jumping the starter, and jumping the part in the pic. When I jump the part in the pic I can hear the starter click, but never tries to turn over. I have tested and cleaned all connections on part in pic and on starter. Any ideas? And can you also tell me what is in the picture, and what it does. Sorry if I am not to bright when it comes to wrenching on boats. Thanks for any help.View attachment 206573

As hivoltg mentioned, the item on the left is your main 50amp breaker. The item on the right is the starter relay. When the key is turned to start 12V is applied to the small yel/red stripe wire on the small bottom terminal on the right. If the relay is working it pulls in and the 12V flows from the red larger terminal to the yel.red stripe larger terminal down to your starter solenoid.

See if you have 12V on the red terminal before you turn the key and then see if you have 12V after the relay clicks when the key is turned to start.

Levithetileguy

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. I have pushed in the button and it doesn't seem to be doing anything, but it doesn't feel right. I will go check for 12v at the main right now.
Edit I checked and I have 12v at the red before I turn the key, and I have 12v at the yellow red after I turn the key. Maybe the problem is my starter which I really hope not because it looks like a real big pain to get off, but it just doesn't feel like a starter issue. On cars when I have had starters go out in the past it seems that they try and turn over at first at least. Any other ideas? Thanks

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the replies. I have pushed in the button and it doesn't seem to be doing anything, but it doesn't feel right. I will go check for 12v at the main right now.
Edit I checked and I have 12v at the red before I turn the key, and I have 12v at the yellow red after I turn the key. Maybe the problem is my starter which I really hope not because it looks like a real big pain to get off, but it just doesn't feel like a starter issue. On cars when I have had starters go out in the past it seems that they try and turn over at first at least. Any other ideas? Thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... You said ya jumpered the starter, 'n it did Nothin',....

That says it's time to pull the starter, 'n see Why,...

What motor, 'n drive are We talkin' 'bout anyways,..??