OMC poor ignition-low voltage from cold start

Capt Mainwaring

Recruit
Hi, interesting reading the lastest threads on the demon ignition ballast circuit, mine is suffering, 1988 2655 Bayliner-OMC 5.7 in Bristol UK, will start with a jump lead to coil +, grey/ black, red/purple removed from +b post on the coil, it starts half a turn, I have then put the leads back on remove jumplead, it runs ok, when its warm.( I have unplugged the ESA so as to not to have any false drain away, or misfire)

1/ can you say what voltage should be at +b coil from start, 1st turn of the ignition key, 2nd Starter position??

Now my meter readings are 4.45Volts to 8v on start.

having looked at Captain Bobs colour wiring diagram post most helpful

My thoughts are the resistor wire to the altenator or the altenator or I am losing it some where else?

Any details or thoughts gratefully received

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC poor ignition-low voltage from cold start

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

OMC built many engines in it's day and many are different year by year. It's not possible to determine what you have until you post a little more info.

Because boat makers frequently use "last-years" model engines and drives, your 1988 hull could have any of 8 (4 in 1987 and 4 in 1988) different model engines and drive combinations.

It's helpful to post the actual model number because (although I don't), someone here might be sitting the correct OMC service manual for your model engine and drive and is itching to help you!

You might have a look at the following iBoats post(s) http://forums.iboats.com/omc-i-o-in...have-technical-information-diyers-468655.html

First, have a look at #1, and then consider that electrical problems are usually connection related. Many connection problems are also ground point corrosion, loose, etc

Cheers,

Rick