headbolts on a 120 mercruiser

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
My fatherinlaw had a impeller go bad, i mean that the brass sleave came loose from the rubber which made the impeller stop spining at high RPM. Damage is cylinder 1+4 are at 130psi and 2+3 are at 80psi when i tested it . So i figured a blown head gasket and when i took the head off i can see where it was leaking between 2+3 and just started leaking into #4. everythig else seems fine so im going to put it back together and hope but the question i have is can i reuse the headbolts or are they ounce and done. Thanks and sorry for the long story.

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: headbolts on a 120 mercruiser

Should be able to re-use the head bolts as long as they're in serviceable condition.

Did you check the head and block for warpage?

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not yet but plan on checking them. The bolts are fine just need to wire wheel them to clean the threads then run a tap in the deck holes. My book is telling me to torque the head to 93 ft lbs does this sound right . It sounds light to me

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Not yet but plan on checking them. The bolts are fine just need to wire wheel them to clean the threads then run a tap in the deck holes. My book is telling me to torque the head to 93 ft lbs does this sound right . It sounds light to me

93 ft lbs sounds about right, but if that information is out of a Clymer, or Seloc repair manual, I'd be wary.
Don't know the vintage of your rig, but with a little searching you may be able to score your self a factory manual for free here;
Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update i guess im going to machine the head its way out of spec. Another question i thought of is when its back together is there a breakin period i should do until the gasket seats in

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Nope.

Generally recommended to run the engine up to temp, then let it cool off and re-torque the head bolts.