Trim Motor Nightmare avoided

bostongrun

Cadet
The trim motor went out on my 4.3 Volvo GL. It didn't work at all. I did all the tests relays. fuses, switches etc and it finally came down to the electric motor.I benched tested it and it didn't work. It is actually quite easy to remove just eight ten mm bolts and remove the wires from the spade connectors on top; don't be stupid and try to pull the wires from the jack through the transom unless you have a few spare hours of time to kill. The wires are grn/wht and blu/wht. I went to the dealer and they wanted $1500 for the motor as a unit with the pump!!! The motor ]pump itself is $900!!! I don't know how they can charge that much for labor because it only took me twenty minutes to remove it. You dont have to remove the lower unit just turn the lower unit all the way to the starboard. Some Ebay vendors sell an updgraded unit for as much as $2000!! on ebay!!! I was not going to spend hundreds or thousands for basically a ten dollar Chinese electric motor so I called a few local auto electric shops here in Minnesota and found one called John's Auto Electric [Edit: removed contact info] who said he reuilds these motors all the time. The motor itself is prone to failure due to problems with the brushes and it isnt quite as robust as it should be due to it's location it's not much bigger than an electric fuel pump motor see attached photo.

Attachments

• CAM00199.jpg
    CAM00199.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator: