How do I know what gear the lower end is in?

NoStress

Cadet
I have a 2002 Mercury 40hp that I attempted to remove the lower end to try and fix a no peeing problem. When I tried to remove the lower unit I was hung up with the gear linkage. To make a long story short I moved it to forward to put the lower end back up until I figured how to lower it correctly.

Now I don't know what gear the lower end is in. My book states the engine should be in neutral. With the lower end out, I put the gear shifter in neutral.

I pushed down on the shifter linkage on the lower end and now the propeller does not seem to move in any direction.

See attachment:

Is there someway i can fix what I messed up?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: How do I know what gear the lower end is in?

What is your engine s/n as there are different models.

Gerry

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

drop the lower . Spin the prop. If it spins freely in both directions, it is in neutral. Put your helm in neutral. Put the lower back on the mid section. If the splines dont line up tun the motor over by hand until the do. make sure the water feed line and the shift linkage are lined up. Push the lower in and bolt it on.

Magneto

Recruit

I have a strikingly similar problem! I have a Tower of Power 1150, circa 1970 that was peeing just fine a month ago, but then I had to let it sit and when I started it up last weekend to check to see if it was still okay, it peed weakly for a minute and then quit. So I removed the lower unit, disassembled the water pump, and everything was in pretty fair shape. The splines were a little bowed, but still pliable and the local Merc shop said it looked okay. After searching the internet a little bit, I discovered that the pump housing nuts are supposed to be torqued to 50 lb-inches, and if it's not just right, you can be sucking air through the seals. So after searching all over town, I found a torque wrench at a reasonable price and re-assembled the pump with the proper torque and put it all back together (with the same parts) and it worked. Just one major problem though: I couldn't get it out of forward gear! For some strange reason I must have turned the gear shift in the lower unit. I've taken it off three more times and in the process of putting it back on I broke the little cheap plastic water tube guide and put a couple nicks in the pump housing! But no matter what I do, I can't get it out of forward gear. I will probably need to find another guide tube, and I wish it could be metal, but I must somehow get this thing working by this weekend for the grandson's visit! I seems when I find neutral in the lower unit, the prop clicks instead of spinning freely like it should. Can anyone help? :confused:

Last edited:

NoStress

Cadet

I seems when I find neutral in the lower unit, the prop clicks instead of spinning freely like it should. Can anyone help? :confused:

That is what mine did or so I think... when I turned the prop forward it would spin okay but when I spun it backwards I got a clicking sound. Well more like a clunk sound. I now have the gear shifter pushed down and it spins freely both directions.

I am going to try Wired247's idea.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - ( 40EFI H.P. (2002 ))
Serial No: 0T583468 Model No: 1A40412ZD

Parts and Service Bulletin List for s/n 0T583468:

Search Results - Crowley Marine

6. Shift gear housing into forward gear. Gear housing will not engage when propeller shaft
is turned clockwise.
7. Position driveshaft into driveshaft housing. Move gear housing towards driveshaft housing
while aligning shift shaft coupler, water tube seal and driveshaft splines.
NOTE: If the driveshaft splines will not align with the crankshaft splines, install a propeller
and turn the propeller shaft counterclockwise while pushing gear housing onto driveshaft
housing. It may also be necessary to move the shift block (on the powerhead) to align the
shift shaft splines for proper re-assembly.
8. Install 4 bolts and washers, (two each side). Apply Loctite 271 on bottom half of bolt
threads prior to installation.
9. Install locknut and washer.
10. Torque bolts and locknut to specified torque.

11. Check shift operation.
a. Propeller shaft will not rotate in counterclockwise direction when in forward gear.
Clutch will ratchet (clicking noise) when rotated clockwise.
b. Propeller shaft will rotate freely in either direction when gearcase is in neutral.
c. Propeller shaft will not rotate in either direction when gearcase is in reverse.

Are you still having problems moving your shift shaft up and down freely?

Gerry

NoStress

Cadet

I have not installed the lower end yet as i wanted help on how to prepare it. Will try what you wrote, I will update.

thank you all so much,

Greg