1988 85hp force starting problem..

Sloppy78

Seaman Apprentice
My 85 hp force always needs a spray of starting fluid for the first start of the day. I squeeze the ball, prime it, choke it and nothing. Little shot of starter fluid fires right up. After it runs a bit it will start normally the rest of the day. What can it be? Thanks guys

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 85hp force starting problem..

Start with a compression test.
Then go through the starting procedures.
Squeeze ball untill firm.
Key on.
Push in to choke.(choke working)
Turn to start while the key is pushed in to choke.
Motor should start within a few seconds.
Once it fires don't use the choke unless it refuses to fire.My motors usually don't need to be choked past the inital start.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When mine starts doing this, it is almost always the fuel pump diaphragm starting to go. However, don't go buying parts until you try what the guys above said first.

Jiggz

Captain

It's no wonder everybody says, starting fluid is addictive! But yes if the procedures above doesn't solve your starting problems, check the plugs for fouling. Additionally, you might want to switch with NGK's BUHW (or BUHX)instead of the Champion UL's. Remember on the first time you try to start with the choke on keep it cranking until it coughs or starts (for no more than 10 secs) and then from thereon it should just be normal starting without the choke or you will seriously flood the carbs.

Sloppy78

Seaman Apprentice

It's no wonder everybody says, starting fluid is addictive! But yes if the procedures above doesn't solve your starting problems, check the plugs for fouling. Additionally, you might want to switch with NGK's BUHW (or BUHX)instead of the Champion UL's. Remember on the first time you try to start with the choke on keep it cranking until it coughs or starts (for no more than 10 secs) and then from thereon it should just be normal starting without the choke or you will seriously flood the carbs.

So keep the key pushed in while I'm turning to start it? I thought you jut have to push it in once or twice and let it go .

Sloppy78

Seaman Apprentice

So keep the key pushed in while I'm turning to start it? I thought you jut have to push it in once or twice and let it go .

Nordin

Commander

This engine has a butterfly choke not a primingchoke, so you have to push the key in while cranking.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yes it needs to be pushed in and held while starting.
So just pushing in the key and releasing does nothing, unless the motors turning over.

Sloppy78

Seaman Apprentice

Aaaggghhh..... My uncle never told me that... He said push the key in a few times and turn it... Makes sense to hold it in... I just replaced the plugs and wires. Got the idle at 1100rpm and in gear 700rpm I'm still curious why once it finally starts the first time there's no starting issues the rest of the day. New carbs were installed 2yrs ago but the boat was only used 2 times for them 2 years. I'm running stabil threw it but would like to get it out soon. The smoke is killing me. I feel like I should be playing the Sanford and son theme when I'm running it down the lake. I replaced the overheat sensor and thermostat along with buzzer...replaced water pump and LU oil. Replaced the exhaust boot. Replaced the seats and trolling motor. Want to replace the windshield but I got a better chance of being struck by lightening while celebrating winning the powerball lotto. If someone can tell me in detail how to check the compression I would be greatfull. Hopefully it's not expensive. Cause if my wife sees anymore go into this thing I'm gonna be living on it!

foodfisher

Captain

Choke is used for cold starting. After running, the engine is no longer cold. Smoke could be a plugged fuel recirculation system, clean associated fittings, screens and hoses. Compression testing is discussed many times, search a little.

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain

Two cycle engines are atypically hard to start when cold but readily starts when warm or hot. The starting procedure is pretty much standard. From experience, I can tell at least it takes two tries before an engine starts when cold assuming you do the following:
1. Prime the fuel bulb until firm
2. Control handle in fast idle position
3. Choke while starting

Sometimes you get lucky instead of coughing the engine will actually start and run the first time. As for the smoke, make sure you have the idle mixture set properly and using correct fuel-oil ratio mix. If so, you can also do the de-carboning process to clean up the cylinders and pistons.